Freaky photo of San Francisco Bay Area sky showing the surveillance during APEC

Originally published at: Freaky photo of San Francisco Bay Area sky showing the surveillance during APEC | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Interesting, but without seeing photos of the skies on a normal day it’s hard to tell how much of an increase in surveillance air traffic that really shows.

4 Likes

I was able to see the 2 or three surveillance aircraft circling around the area of the stadium when tyler swft was singing when she came to town last summer. It was via flightradar24.
(Edit: Last sentence added)

4 Likes

That’s beautify, especially the line, “Diagonal streaks are stars.”

4 Likes

It’s more intense than that photo suggests. For the past 3 days from 7am to 6pm or so there has been at least one and sometimes two tanker planes over the Bay Area (KC-10 or KC-135) at 20K+ feet, plus some unknown number of fighters flying high without transponders. I’ve seen a couple visually when they’re approaching a tanker for a fill-up. I assume there is likely some radar equipped aircraft overhead coordinating things (perhaps a Global Hawk drone, as they’re based only 100 miles away)

“Normal” law enforcement surveillance flights over the Bay Area are pretty minimal, Oakland PD often has a helicopter up, as does CHP on occasion to track a specific car or look for “sideshows”. For this event, CHP has had as many as three helicopters over SF and the Bay Bridge (which was blocked by protesters yesterday), plus one of their surveillance planes. DHS has also been flying its own helicopter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.