"Free hug man" in Times Square punches woman for not paying him

Nice Nivin Reference

“Free Hugs” man in Times Square punches woman for not paying him

Clearly the “Free Hugs” man is an off-duty NYPD officer.

11 Likes

This.

The stories we read about medical bankruptcies are about people that HAD insurance! If your co-pay is 20% but your bills are in the 100s of 1000s… even if you had a good middle class job you’d be fucked.

(And before anyone goes there, yes we have medical bankruptcies in Canada too, but thats more about lost income than hospital bills, and on average the amounts we declare bankruptcy over $8-16K depending on demographics.)

13 Likes

It is. That’s why Americans oppose gun control, so they can relieve their stress with mass shootings.

11 Likes

you are delusional

10 Likes

Wrong.

Obama campaigned on universal healthcare in 2008. He tried to pass the public option America’s Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009. But he only had a majority of Congress supporting it, not the required supermajority.

What you describe is what came after, in late 2009 and 2010, once that public option battle was lost in mid-2009. Once it was clear that Democrats could never pass a public option by themselves.

10 Likes

About what? My 80% number was actually a little conservative. As of this February, CDC says it’s actually more like 83.7% of adults insured, and the number is even higher for children. And yeah, not all those plans are great, but some are. I didn’t say the system is perfect—in fact, I specifically said it has big problems. But it isn’t true that everyone is one accident away from bankruptcy. My statement was factual.

1 Like

Oh, I am not arguing about his campaign (I agree with you there), I am arguing about what he did in office. I guess we disagree about what constitutes “level best” and “tried to pass”. :slight_smile: From my position campaigning with other public and clinical health professionals, there was never any serious effort put by the administration towards a robust public option, but there were early administration explorations of a weak public option. His “market-based” rhetoric was present nearly from the get-go.

4 Likes

There’s an out-of-pocket maximum for the year which is good. But again, if you and your wife make say $80,000/yr and you’re supporting a bunch of kids … and you’re already stretching thin, having a $20,000 out of pocket maximum is enough to cause major financial trouble.

But … to many Americans … tough shit. They’d rather them go into bankruptcy and all that comes with it – which really just jacks up the premiums for everyone anyway.

2 Likes

Fair enough. But 60% of US bankruptcies are for medical debt.

10 Likes

I think the original statement using everyone is to highlight that the middle and working classes are one accident away from bankruptcy. I know we have an 80/20 plan that would seriously bankrupt us if one of us had cancer or had an accident.

8 Likes

The problem with your assertion is that health insurance in the US no longer inoculates against having to declare bankruptcy due to lack of coverage, even a little. So citing statistics regarding the number of people who have insurance does not prove your point. Search on “people with health insurance declaring bankruptcy” and you will find plenty of recent articles. The middle class has been in decline for over a decade, and their health care benefits have been dwindling accordingly.

Remember how Walmart was recently shamed into providing health insurance to much its huge army of minimally paid employees? Take a look at what that coverage provides. According to Forbes, “many thousands of full-time workers employed by the company could find that a single serious illness or hospitalization could break them financially”.

I haven’t been able to find out what percentage of people have minimal “catastrophic” insurance plans from a quick search, but I suspect it’s a large number.

5 Likes

Nobody (except for people making money on it) think it’s a good system.

Obama stated flat-out that his goal was single-payer European-style healthcare, but when he realized Congress wouldn’t even talk to him, he lowered his sights to Massachusetts-style Romneycare, in which everyone is required to be covered by health insurance, and constructing the law in a way that future leaders could build on it to lead us into true socialized medicine. Sadly, even that meager step is too liberal for the GOP, and Congress has been taking it apart ever since. American citizens don’t get a choice here except to sigh sadly and wait.

7 Likes

My take is that the republicans are dead set against “Obamacare” due to tremendous fear. If reasonably priced, effective healthcare became widely available, people would, at least theoretically, be grateful to the democrats for decades to come.

6 Likes

So am I. He tried to pass a public option. It was a major battle. But in the end he just didn’t have the supermajority needed. What you describe came after.

3 Likes

That image should be using .

4 Likes

6 Likes

Absolutely. That’s essentially their gameplan in general: to prevent any possible progress whatsoever that might help people, whether it’s healthcare, veterans’ benefits, equal pay for women, medical aid for 9/11 first responders, aid to victims of the water crisis in Flint Michigan, etc, in order to make Obama as ineffectual a president as possible. Their stated goal is to destroy his legacy by preventing anything whatsoever from getting done.

10 Likes

Catastrophic plans, as explained to me, have fallen out of favor as by product of Obamacare. Those plans do not “count” in the federal government’s eyes under the ACA. I used to have one – it was cheap and served me well. I had the protection I needed, but I paid every time I went to a doctor. Now I have an Obamacare approved plan – that costs $500 more per month, and I still pay every time I go to a doctor. But … my plan covers like 80 thinks that Obamacare mandated be covered – none of which I need…

So … guessing not many people are covered by catastrophic.

1 Like

What’s it like? It’s like $800 for a bandage, a Tylenol, and a fifteen minute evaluation from a distracted and sleep-deprived nurse.

3 Likes