Free speech and the case of Saily Avelenda

I would like to respond to the post that insulted me, because there are points to be made.

It is lazy to call a long-standing, reasonably-well-regarded poster a “troll” just because you don’t like what they’re saying. If you can’t even get a basic term like that correct, why should anyone invest any time trying to understand what you say?

Furthermore, I don’t understand why it was important to indicate that your wife has “unassailable Liberal values” (complete with an elite education). I’m not a Liberal and the argument I’m making isn’t liberal, so why would the fact that your wife is convince me of something? Seriously, what were you trying to say with that?

But more crucially, I am concerned that a trained social worker would equate something an underprivileged 5-year-old says with a coordinated team effort by young adults with all the privilege in the world. That’s a serious conflation of very different situations. Unprofessional. Doesn’t matter how good her schooling was.

And why do you assume that the equivalent scenario for “nonwhite” admitted students would be to trade “rap songs with horrifying violent & misogynistic lyrics”? Do you know anything about rap music? Other than a few bad examples trotted out to ‘prove’ how awful the entire industry is? And what makes you think the students in this group are all white? Or don’t listen to rap music? There’s a lot of potential intersectionality that doesn’t seem to register in your arguments, or in your assumptions of what I must be thinking.

So here’s one last question, because I do think it’s at the crux of the situation: do you believe that adults who go out of their way to gather together to make nasty violent bigoted statements pose no risk to society? (Or, as little risk as a 5-year-old repeating something he’s heard?)

20 Likes