French chef pleads Michelin to take away his 3 stars

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/20/french-chef-pleads-michelin.html

4 Likes

Cassius:
“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

7 Likes

That’s not loving from the oven.

5 Likes

He risks being inundated by poetry slams.

4 Likes

He should take the capitalist approach and sell his restaurant now that it is at its most valuable. Then he could take all that money and retire to the south of Fr…

Oh shit.

24 Likes

“Well… it’s…it’s not much of a philosophy, I know. … I can live my own life in my own way if I want to. Fuck off! Don’t come following me!”

16 Likes

21 Likes

Michelin is a bit like the Credit companies no? They judge you and slap a label on you without your permission and now you are stuck with this “rating” regardless of how you feel about it.

9 Likes

Surely just insisting that the stars are not referred to anywhere in his restaurant or in any advertising would sort it out, or adding an ‘allegedly’ after any appearance of the stars that has control over.

1 Like

A sort of similar thing happened here in Boston. A local chef who was doing awesome stuff at a tiny restaurant decided to open his own place, it got four stars, and he begged the paper and the reviewer to re-review them and take at least one star away to take the pressure off, saying “No one can live up to that.” They refused. A couple of years later he was busted for drugs at the Canadian border and posted videos of himself burning his business cards and the restaurant review, basically lost his shit, and quit entirely.

Happily he seems to have gotten things together and is starting over.

12 Likes

Why doesn’t someone just say “fuck them” and make what they want and if they drop, they drop?

5 Likes

Or he could just keep doing what he loves to the best of his abilities, Treat every guest and meal with the same care and stop giving a fuck.

15 Likes

The only real difference between them and a non-professional reviewer is that they’ve monetized their own ratings instead of letting Yelp! monetize their ratings.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Yes, and they’re probably more accurate now in the internet age but I remember James Thurber reviewed a Michelin Guide and found it pretty funny that some of the restaurants in it were misnamed or didn’t even exist.

It’s been a long time since I read that piece and I’m not sure now which of his books it was in, but I still give it three and a half stars.

8 Likes

Who ate all the pies?

4 Likes

winner of the “Best Humblebrag of 2017,” perhaps?

10 Likes

I hope his new place gets rave no reviews!

4 Likes

And this guy:

7 Likes

This business, kill you it may.

1 Like