French pro-Palestine protestors accused of "apology for terrorism"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/26/french-pro-palestine-protestors-accused-of-apology-for-terrorism.html

4 Likes

Disagree

15 Likes

Gonna agree with my friend @NukeML and also say…

disagree GIF

Also… not entirely sure what the listing of civilian deaths is meant to prove here? That deaths in gaza are okay? That the Oct. 7th deaths were okay? :thinking:

14 Likes

I hope that you’re not suggesting that

1. Hamas poses the same level of global threat as the Nazis were

or

1. The civilian death toll in Gaza is remotely appropriate or proportional given the situation. Currently the UN estimates that over 35,000 civilians have been killed in Gaza, which is about 1.6% of the entire population. That’s almost double the estimated rates of civilian deaths caused by allied boming within Germany for the entirety of WW2.
14 Likes

In the context of a genocide (in Palestine, Srebrenica, Rwanda, Cambodia or anywhere) one has to ask, necessary for what?

12 Likes

Modern technology has made it possible to strike military targets with precision so as to minimize civilian casualties. There is and always has been a moral imperative to minimize civilian casualties, and excuses no longer work in the 21st century.

7 Likes

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

Well, they TELL us that’s so, but how often has it proven not to be as precise and accurate as they claim? Because civilians keep dying in these wars with these supposedly precise and accurate weapons… so, either they’re lying or they don’t care…

7 Likes

Genocide is bad, and genocide apologists can eat shit.

19 Likes

Precision weapons are expensive, so it’s often the latter. The moral imperative is still there whether they care or not.

5 Likes

The moral imperative, though, should probably be on not going to war in the first place, maybe?

8 Likes

Or even 3. Hamas is justified in their actions as “Civilian death is sometimes necessary.”

Nightmare all around.

5 Likes

Those who instigate wars have already broken a moral imperative, but moral imperatives still hold once a war has begun.

3 Likes

Which is part of the reason why my position is anti-genocide, not pro-Palestine or pro-Israel. I hate how the media is framing this horror.

15 Likes

To drive out occupation forces like in Normandy?

Please explain this interesting idea and its application to Palestine further.

13 Likes

I was looking at some footage the other day of a row of small fishing boats by the sea, each one neatly blown up.

They can hit stuff pretty well, it’s just what they want to hit that’s the problem. Things like hospitals and journalists aren’t hit by mistakes with the guidance mechanism, but by bad decision making.

12 Likes

When you’re targeting hospitals and such, that falls more under “evil” than “bad decision”, but maybe that’s just me.

10 Likes

But then, “to be evil” is indeed a bad decision. Far as I’m concerned, evil is action, not an inherent human quality.

9 Likes

Congratulations on derailing this topic from what it is actually about, the actions of the French government, with your disgusting apology for genocide. Go to hell.

18 Likes

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

7 Likes