French supermarket chain Carrefour puts "shrinkflation" warnings on price-gouging brands

There’s issues with that for me, because on the whole folks use LP gas to cook here in Tijuana, rather than electricity. I think it’s kind of wasteful, so I use my Aroma rice steamer. At least for the Italian pasta, there’s really no foaming over.

My Italian grandmother just rolled over in her grave

1 Like

I don’t have access to nicer things here. I make do with what I can.

I don’t think I can even find a good set of kitchen knives, because the stuff sold here is cheaply manufactured crap from overseas and I can’t bring knives down from San Diego.

3 Likes

I’m not sure it’s just category. I think I’ve seen different for different sizes of the same product and brand.

1 Like

Sorry, no shade intended, rather a commentary on the idea of there being only one correct way to cook a thing. Your rice cooker method is a clever solution.

2 Likes

At least in the case of Italian brands (even common brands actually manufactured in Italy), it works pretty well. And I don’t have to watch it. Just set the timer and go on about your business.

2 Likes

You mean set it and forget it?

1 Like

Here in Australia that they DO have to show the unit price in set units/measurements

2 Likes

It’s partially the brass die that DukeTrout speaks about, the other, much more important piece is the drying time. Quick drying makes for crappy pasta, there’s also the grain to consider, but only a few companies use exclusively Italian durum wheat.

2 Likes

Legendary film criric Roger Ebert would have agree!

2 Likes

There’s a bespoke kitchen knife maker in Tijuana if you have money burning a hole in your pocket…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.