"Freshman daughter drop off:" frat suspended over sexually harassing signs

Back in the 80’s, that was true of some non-black fraternities as well. Some were just great big parties, but some were not. Also, the only black fraternity I ever met, I met in the 80’s. They were just one great big party - statistical sample of one.

So maybe there’s plenty of exceptions to every stereotype?

5 Likes

Plenty in what sense? In this case, shrugging off the damages wrought by “Greek” rape culture that way seems inadvisible and careless to me. No matter what color the particular organization is.

1 Like

We had one fraternity that had been dis-enfranced or whatever it was called. It was the DKE fraternity (George W.'s old fraternity!!!). They had been stripped of their house in reprimand for wearing blackface in the campus Homecoming parade. Such a funny prank!

Anyway, what actually happened was once the organization was totally rogue it had ZERO controls or reason to conform to any rules or regulations of propriety.

The DKE fraternity was widely regarded to be totally off the rails (and had the same rich bastards as were in Signma Nu), whereas at least Signma Nu PRETENDED to be a good campus citizen.

1 Like

High Five. My daughter, too.

5 Likes

While “being a supportive network for each other” has very different implications when you’re talking about a historically disadvantaged group vs. a highly privileged group, that is at the core of what all frats are selling. Social (and maybe some academic) support while on campus, and business networking support after graduation.

And black frats aren’t without problems. There are black frats that are elitist, too. And branding (with a hot iron) still seems to be a thing in the black frat world, although I don’t think any of them still force it on their members.

I have to say that one of the most formative experiences I had was attending a college where most students were of the Frat/Football mentality (UGA to be exact). The weirdo arts kids like me formed a kind of underground network that literally would not have existed if we were in the mainstream. I like to think it informed my sense of sarcasm, resilience and self worth. Of course, not everyone is going to be bullied in the same way. Some people are heavily scarred emotionally, and some folks are physically bullied. That’s never OK.

1 Like

Um… black sororities are definitely elitist. Even though I didn’t want to join when I attended UGA, my mother was an AKA, so I could have easily gotten in. I was an all black wearing, blonde cropped hair having, punk rock art kid…no way they would have accepted me into their manicured, weaved ranks.

7 Likes

You’re not comfortable foisting consequences onto 18 year old men?

10 Likes

I know people with frat brands. Holy fuck that is retarded in so many levels…

2 Likes

My daughter looked at which schools had good programs in her field, then investigated the scholarships available, and finally the specific research area she was interested in. She found a full ride academic scholarship and a paid research position. She doesn’t care about fraternities one way or the other.

2 Likes

One of the fundamental problems that did not exist before about 1985 was that fraternities, as quasi-private institutions, have a corner on the ability to have alcohol-fueled bashes on the weekends. Without that control, they’d never have the influence they do. But if you are 19 and, like most college kids, want to get your drink on, you have no choice to participate in one way or another with the fraternity system. Thanks, but no.

2 Likes

It’s strange. To people from outside the US, this whole “Greek” thing hits Poe’s law so hard.

The only exposure to the whole idea of fraternities and sororities you get is through Films and TV, so you really can’t tell if these organisations actually exist like this, or if it’s just another part of the exaggerated stereotypical view of life in the US that you get through that lens.

Then you see things like this. And it appears that these organisations have fed on that image of themselves, in a viscous cycle.

5 Likes

We do, it’s called “tech colleges”.

2 Likes

I think banners like this actually help enlighten parents as to what sort of environment their children are entering. I think it’s a bigger problem that universities try to shield parents (and incoming students) from the reality of modern campus life.

1 Like

So … celebrating rape culture is much better for everyone than hiding it. Is that what you meant?

I think that might be what’s know in the trade as a false dilemma.

5 Likes

Hmmm…sum up in a paragraph or two what Greek life is and what its point is.

Funny that for me, I was just so not into the divvying up of people into tribes branded by letters, but for half my school it was absolutely important. I do know people who served as presidents of their sororities or fraternities who were prepared for leadership in that way. Mostly I just don’t get into that sense of strict social structure - this is the black fraternity, this the Jewish kids from the North, this the Jews from the South, this the blonde party girls, this the jock white boys, this one the stoners, this one the nerds. Wouldn’t you have found these people anyway? Why identify so strictly with them?

I was a “little sister” of a fraternity, but it was the weirdest bunch of misfits, known for extreme drug use (except for a few guys who never did any drugs at all). It was an official fraternity but had no house. It was the only fraternity where you could be an actual member, but there were many more people who were just friends of members who’d come to their parties and considered themselves part of the crowd. In all the others you strictly had to be a dues paying member to be part of their scene. It was like an anti-fraternity in a way: all were welcome.

1 Like

… which is a weirdly extreme form of drug use in itself, those rebellious misfits … :wink:

6 Likes

We didn’t have any fraternities that I knew of, but we did have a mature students’ society that was open to anyone over about 23. They had a small budget for tea and coffee and a couple of annual events, a lounge, a bar, a vegan cafe and a function room. The building was also a few metres from the main library. It’s literally amazing how much student life improves if you eliminate the 18-21 group. That alone made waiting for university worth it.

8 Likes

Did you know that a number of young women start college with this sort of ideal but end up dropping/flunking out after dealing with sexual abuse and/or assault on campus?

Knowing what kind of social environment is supported at a school is a real component of the educational experience and should be considered such. Your daughter isn’t going to be going to classes in a vacuum.

9 Likes

“Suspended”. Does that mean that the kids were kicked out of the university or that the frat was… de-legitimised?