"Friendly" apps are good at maximizing engagement, but their context-blindness is a cesspit of algorithmic cruelty

Now it’s run by carats, Joe. :wink:

(((slinks out the back)))

3 Likes

Maybe it’s because I go to a weird school, but I think it’s telling.

Thinking about the teachers in my CS department at school when I was first starting (there was some churn and they hired over the last semester or two like 3 immediately post doctoral teachers), literally half of them (3/6 that I interacted with) either have a farm or have since given up computing to go into art. As a general rule, the more you know about computers and computing, the less you trust them.

1 Like

The cruelty here isn’t new. Mass production punishes any minority that can’t use what most people buy. “flesh” color band aids, peanut allergies, left handed people, folks who can’t drive, kids who can’t tolerate the standard immunization schedule… What benefits the majority often punishes the few.

Or as we say around the software development area…

Most people think computers are out to get them.

We know that computers are out to get us.

1 Like

I’m a little worried that many people’s relationship with computers isn’t very fundamentally different than an ancient person’s relationship with their gods.

1 Like

Or their cars.

I almost obsessively avoid “recommended” anything in the web media I consume. If an author I like recommends something or a person I know, then I’m open. If it pops up in my feed of information from an unknown source, I treat it as spam and ignore it.

Except for Spotify. I surf music from wave to suggested wave with no resistance. I’m sure they’ll have me robbing banks for them soon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.