Frightening footage from inside Viking cruise ship tossed by rough seas

They really should tie more things down so they don’t go flying across the room. I’m surprised a cruise ship doesn’t do this considering the liability that comes with someone getting hurt. Naval ships tie everything down for that very reason.

3 Likes

I thought of “The Poseidon Adventure”.

6 Likes

Never turn your back on the sea. Ever.

Signed: Old Salt Papasan

12 Likes

I hear that both the Inertial Dampers and the Heisenberg Compensators failed.

9 Likes

I’d forgotten that Leslie Nielsen was the captain in Poseidon Adventure. That film, and Juggernaut, put me off taking a cruise as a kid (not that it was an affordable option, mind you).

@PsiPhiGrrrl I was absolutely howling with laughter in the cinema at the following scene from 2012.

@RickMycroft That water coming up the window?! Shit a fuckin’ brick, that is nightmare fuel for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, I won’t be calmly sitting there watching it. That wasn’t just a splash, that was quite a weight of water hitting it. Even if the glass material is up to it, worry about the frame. It just has to fail once.

3 Likes

That’s not just any aircraft carrier crashing into the White House.

It’s the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67).

Update: Added image; artist’s conception, actual destruction of White House may differ from one shown.

8 Likes

My wife talked me into going on a whale watching cruise off the coast of Maine a few years ago. The day turned really nasty and had 30’ sea swells with 10’ to 15’ waves on top of that and for what ever reason they would not turn back. It turned into the vomit comet from hell.

Saw just one whale that day. Just one.

NEVER again. The whales can keep their backyard!

8 Likes

Indeed, that really is the icing on that particularity over-egged cake. Great was my mirth.

1 Like

at 03:00 it gets so submerged, it went pitchblack in the room. I would scream the fuck outta me like jami lee c.

2 Likes

2 Likes

8 Likes

Poseiden Adventure: 1972
Airplane: 1980 “first comedy role”, says wikipedia.

David Zucker explained that "the trick was to cast actors like Robert Stack, Leslie Nielsen, Peter Graves, and Lloyd Bridges. These were people who, up to that time, had never done comedy. We thought they were much funnier than the comedians of that time were.

wikipedia

5 Likes

The one time I regretted going fishing was a charter trip out of NJ. The captain should’ve canceled because the marine forecast was bad. The trip was arranged by a club whose members were men about 20-40 years older than I was at the time. Normally, on the way out to the first stop everyone would finish breakfast, set up their gear, banter, and bet on who would get the first fish.

After 15 minutes, the waves started getting higher and the water turned so rough that my father made me sit in the cabin. What unnerved me more than the size of the waves was the silence of the men in the cabin. A few younger guys ran out to the rail, and no one made the usual jokes about chumming. Nobody said a thing other than to relay updates from the captain (who decided to turn back).

Fortunately, this was many years before I watched The Perfect Storm. Otherwise, I might have been more tempted to scream or something. Just thinking about it now, I wonder if my presence kept the men from freaking out (they’d tried to avoid cursing around me, too). :thinking:

5 Likes

That’s one reason I like the sea: it has no patience with managers who put their cashflow charts before the weather charts.

1 Like

Those waves aren’t particularly bad for that region. I’ve worked on fish boats that would have no hesitation about putting out their nets in those seas, or worse.

The big ships, when they roll, roll slow and heavy. That can be terrifying, especially when they lean over and hang there for a couple of seconds. I used to think of it as breathing, with the engine as the heartbeat. But then I used to spend months at a time on a ship and get a lot of meditation done.

5 Likes

I remember a similar warning from Emily Dickinson:

3 Likes

You really can sing everything by her to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas.

3 Likes

Until we met the solid town
No man he seemed to know
And bowing with a mighty look
At me, the sea withdrew

Thank you, I hadn’t read that in years.

4 Likes

Not quite what I was expecting:

12 Likes