From "Song of the South" to positive representation: Disney's Splash Mountain gets rethemed

Originally published at: From "Song of the South" to positive representation: Disney's Splash Mountain gets rethemed | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Good on them!

12 Likes

As an appreciator of The Princess and the Frog and most things NOLA, this is awesome news.

12 Likes

Great news; muting this thread on a positive note before someone pops up implying that SotS somehow ‘wasn’t that bad,’ or that Disney is ‘ruining’ their long-gone childhood…

8 Likes

Inevitably from white dudes who were born decades after the movie came out and had to be told that the characters on the ride were from it.

It will be nice for small children to actually recognise the ride’s theme from a movie they saw.

8 Likes

Yay! I was disappointed they didn’t already have a Tiana beignets place when we went a year and a half ago. I love beignets and it would have been so on-theme.
I’m not sure when or if we will go back to Disney World. But if we do, we will definitely hit that ride.

6 Likes

Isn’t archery a career?

(Yeah, I know. Merida is from the other studio.)

(There’s also Princess Vanellope, who takes her racing career quite seriously, although apparently there’s some debate over whether or not she’s an actual Disney princess.)

8 Likes

They have had beignets in New Orleans Square in Disneyland for a long time but they were Mickey-shaped rather than Tiana-themed. I’m sure that will be changing soon as the French Market Restaurant is currently being re-themed to “Tiana’s Palace.”

10 Likes

We were at Disney World. I might push for Disneyland next time. Glad to see Disneyland taking that step for the New Orleans restaurant. It’s such a logical change and they really need to celebrate their BIPOC princesses more. My daughter was disappointed there wasn’t more of Moana

9 Likes

There’s more career driven ones too.

Sigourney Weaver Aliens GIF

8 Likes

I assume you’re referring to the Xenomorphs (which are, of course, born of the alien queen) rather than Ripley, right? The Disney acquisition of the Fox movie catalog sure created some interesting new categories of princesses!

4 Likes

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

4 Likes

Private Hudson, “Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a Disney Princess?”

Private Vasquez, “No. Have you?”

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.