FTC reputedly investigating McDonald's always-broken ice cream machines

i want to go to there 30 rock GIF

There’s a burrito shop near the University of Florida that will ship burritos to almost anywhere, I wonder if I could get some lemon pies?

3 Likes

Treacher was one of those celebrities, like Tim Horton, whose continued fame depends not on what they did in their careers but on the fast-food chains to which they lent their names.

4 Likes

McDonald’s has locations all over the world, and I have never heard of it being a problem outside the US (it certainly isn’t here in Japan). Is this just a US McDonald’s things or are people in other countries experiencing the same thing?

(I know about the current UK thing, but that’s not a chronic issue that has been going on for years.)

I don’t even know if it’s any good anymore, or if that’s just a false memory because AT had only one location in Wichita IIRC. A lemon pie was a rare gift to 10-year old me.

3 Likes

Ice cream not being available because the machine is broken does seem to be a fairly uniform customer experience, so it looks like they’re succeeding.

4 Likes

This really sounds more like a “right to repair” issue to me. If the manuals (and parts) are made available to any repair shop, and the franchise is left free to pick any repair man, then repair-service competition would spring up where needed.

2 Likes

I’m convinced this entire “controversy” is complete bullshit, designed to get attention for McDonalds with the idea that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I used to frequent McDonalds almost exclusively for my fast food needs, many times just popping in a drive through for a sundae. I cannot remember EVER being denied for a broken machine.

It’s most often a thing in the UK when they’ve cleaned the machines for the night (early) and pretend they are broken so they don’t get messed up.

Had friends in high school who worked at McDicks and did that routinely.

“The ice cream is always broken at night because we’re only required to clean it once, but the day shif will get real upset if we give them a dirty machine. So we clean it at 8PM then just tell everyone it’s broken.”

2 Likes

That sounds straightforward, but what about the other chains? Do they have a special upgrade, like a fill to here line?

2 Likes

I don’t know, maybe they have better training. Note that this particular Taylor model is specific to McDonalds. Other restraunts (from the video) supposedly have more leway in their machine selection. One can only hope that means there is a little competition and the machines are better.

I really don’t know more than that, so anything else is just speculation on my part. If someone with industry experience could chime in, it would be helpful.

1 Like

I think the technical term for the stuff is “McFlurry Slurry”; though I’m admittedly not a subject matter expert.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.