Fuck Me

I like to think that most Boingers have the self-awareness and adjustment such that any self-loathing is ephemeral and in the meantime, an opportunity to invite others to poke fun at themselves. Hence this thread.

For those to whom this does not apply, I think your advice is sound. Good post.

9 Likes

That’s Demetri Martin. Guy’s hilarious, IMHO…

3 Likes

I was 70% that it was him. I’ve been watching a lot of standup recently.

5 Likes

FM for arguing with people on the internet. About football players. And for calling the other person in the argument a hypocrite and holier-than-thou. Both of which I still believe. But I could have lived with myself without saying either of those things or engaging them fruitlessly whatsoever.

Less this mea culpa be taken too much to heart, I was proud of writing the following:

I do not go around telling people what a good person I am (except to the extent that I go around telling people that I don’t go around telling people what a good person I am).

14 Likes

Grill fire. Grease, cheese, and bacon fat. Flashed-over and got my veggies covered with soot. No damage AFAIK. Except to dinner.

19 Likes

I kept forgetting my therapist appointments. My therapist talked to me about it, but I couldn’t think of any way to guarantee I won’t miss them other than just terminating my relationship with her so that there is nothing to miss. I’m so stupid.

17 Likes

Smart-phone? Auto-reminders?

6 Likes

Can you have the secretary call you the day before with a reminder?

Most doctors I’ve been to will do that without asking; my mother (who worked nights) had to pester them into not doing that so that they didn’t wake her up after a long night’s work.

7 Likes

I went into work for an early shift having forgotten I’d booked the day off. I should still be asleep, dammit.

13 Likes

Seconding the hell out of this. I love my smartphone reminders and more than once they 've saved my ass from missing an appointment. Even so, a vocal (or better, written) reminder from the office can prime you to be vigilant for the other ones. When it comes to reminding yourself appointments, more is more.

6 Likes

I don’t have too many appointments to remember and I don’t respond well to a sudden changes of plan, so I have 2-4 reminders for each event. The day before, that morning, an hour before and 10-15 minutes before I have to leave, so it stays in my mind as a thing to remember for that day. I’m not surprised when it comes, so I don’t tend to put it off or get too distracted when it’s time to leave. It wouldn’t work as well if I had several appointments every day, but I don’t think I’d work well with that schedule anyway.

7 Likes

I forgot to remind my doc to renew my mirtazapine script. Or my doc forgot. I forget which of us is suppose to remember.

Insomnia, nausea, and general bad vibes commencing in three…two…one…FM

12 Likes

It’s 4:30am. I’ve been up since 11:30pm with a series of night terrors and panic attacks. Time to throw in the towel on sleep and just start work. Not looking forward to this, yikes.

12 Likes

Did you ever intend to type

rm -rf !$

but actually instead type

rm -rf *

No?

Just me then.

9 Likes

Oh, oh, I’ve got one of these stories. I was messing with a script that was meant to deploy a bunch of stuff to my home directory. I’ve got something in the script like mkdir -p ~/some/path, except the path is interpreted wrong and now I have a directory called "~" full of junk I don’t want.

So obviously, rm -rf ~

9 Likes

You’re making me blooooooo…

4 Likes
# rm -rf *
# pwd
/
# fml
fml: command not found
6 Likes
alias fml='echo sux2bu'

FTFY

12 Likes

I am trying to thing thing in spite of my anxiety, and it is 300 times worse than just not doing the thing.

I am thinking about doing a small presentation on a tech/optimization topic at work. I haven’t even submitted an application to be considered yet - I just shot a note to a more senior tech guy to ask if it was a good topic for presentation, and I am already nervous as fuck.

I am not a huge fan of social anxiety

15 Likes

Fecking ADHD; it’s after 3am and I’m only just coming to the end of a project that I should have finished by about 5pm. It’s either this or suicidal depression and anxiety with other medication, and I’m going to have to wait until the new year before it changes (they’re going to admit me for inpatient treatment). It’s like being asexual, but for whatever you need to be doing right now.

15 Likes