Fucking NY Times

… he must have other grifts to fall back on :thinking:

4 Likes
8 Likes

See also: labor rights, segregation, and Naziism.

Zentrum uber alles.

10 Likes

and requiring the young women to report their menstrual cycles.

5 Likes
14 Likes

Old school callback to

7 Likes

I wonder what kind of slavery capitalism holdings the owners and investors of the NYT had before the Civil War…

11 Likes

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

4 Likes

Since Jimmy O’keefe is in the news for being shitcanned:

The public editor groveled in apology to conservatives for not covering the story enough!!!

Then later grudingly admitted liberals had a point about the videos being doctored, but, nonetheless, shutup hippies!!!

Two public editor pieces! It was a big thing! Sure he wasn’t really dressed as a ridculous pimp as the videos portrayed, but still he SAID he was a pimp so it’s totally the same thing! QED!

The paper of record is the most unreliable narrator we have. Can’t accurately cover the present or its own past.

9 Likes

To NYT’s Peter Baker, Acknowledging Trans People’s Existence Is “Activism,” Openly Advocating for Perpetual U.S. Occupation of Afghanistan Isn’t

14 Likes
11 Likes

Masks don’t work because your proboscis sticks out right through them, assuming you are a bed bug, which is all that name means to me.

7 Likes
12 Likes

11 Likes

What went wrong at the New York Times?

Something has gone very wrong at the New York Times. Unfortunately, no one is allowed to tell you what it is. Since new executive editor Joe Kahn took control in April 2022—hold that date in your mind, because it’s important—the paper has published what a widely-quoted Popula article by Tom Scocca estimates as “more than 15,000 words’ worth of front-page stories asking whether care and support for young trans people might be going too far or too fast,” amounting to what Scocca (and basically every trans person who reads the paper) calls a “plain old-fashioned newspaper crusade.”

The anti-trans pivot at the Times is sharp. It’s notable. It has been protested in open letters from GLAAD and over 4,000 current and former Times contributors (including me). And—as Kahn reminded colleagues, in a sharply worded memo addressing those open letters—the Times has absolutely no interest in changing course. Nor are staffers allowed to comment on this coverage in social media, interviews or, indeed, any “public forum.” Staffers who signed the open letter have reportedly been subject to “investigation” and disciplinary action; the crackdown has been so harsh that the NewsGuild of New York has stepped in, noting that under its auspices, protest “is concerted activity protected by the National Labor Relations Board.”

It’s not uncommon for legacy media outlets to control their staffers’ public output—witness the Washington Post’s treatment of Felicia Sonmez, who was forbidden to report on sexual assault due to her status as a survivor, then fired for tweeting about sexism at the Post—but it does pose an obstacle to outside reporting and activism. Those who know what’s happening at the Times aren’t allowed to speak about it, and those who speak about it aren’t allowed to know what’s going on.

This matters, because the Times is not just a media outlet: it is an institution, the paper of record, considered by many to be the gold standard of journalism to which most other reputable outlets aspire, and the standard set by its trans reporting is incredibly dangerous. There is no epidemic of trans teens being rushed through medical transition by overly permissive doctors; trans people struggle to access healthcare at every age, and it has never been easy, let alone too easy, to be a trans child in the U.S. The articles claiming otherwise are recycling talking points that recognizably and overtly originate from anti-trans groups, some of whom have explicitly told the Times that their goal is to outlaw any form of medical transition. Representatives from anti-trans groups are sometimes quoted in the pieces themselves, without the Times disclosing their affiliations or agendas. Clueless transphobia is common enough, but what’s coming out of the Times is something else; it is propaganda disguised as objective reporting.

People tend to talk about “the media” as if it were a force of nature, a vast impersonal weather system that blows some stories to the front page and others off the map, but that isn’t true. Media is made by people, and those people have politics and relationships and sympathies. Pure objectivity does not exist, and the pretense of objectivity—the newsroom ideal that all “sides” of an issue should be heard—often harms marginalized people more than it helps them. If you say “I want to live,” and I say “No,” what happens next isn’t a debate; it’s murder.

The New York Times is made by people, too. Someone has made the decision for the paper of record to publish a torrent of anti-trans propaganda, and to do so at a moment when trans people are being attacked in state legislatures. Given the urgency of the situation, it is a matter of public interest to figure out how exactly the situation at the Times got this dire.

17 Likes
9 Likes

non-paywall version:

https://archive.ph/I6GJ9

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

I’m so sick of the fascism being RIGHT THERE and people STILL dismissing it! FFS…

12 Likes

we cannot overestimate or exaggerate the threat that desantis the fascist presents. obviously, tRump is bad. desantis would be exponentially worse. he is straight up fascist, center to the seams.

11 Likes

I think you’re right there… as I’ve said before, the one piece of the puzzle here is that he might not be able to get the same national support Trump did…

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ on a Nazi cracker

12 Likes