Funk, Drums, or Both

(drums, not funk)

Cozy Powell : Dance with the Devil

John Bonham : Bonzo’s Montreux

And one more from Bonzo - it’s not his most virtuosic drumming, but it might be the most thoroughly sampled
Led Zeppelin : When the Levee Breaks

3 Likes

Funky Drums? Hell you talmbout.

2 Likes

nice track. that vocal melody seems to be lifted from Hendrix’s Third Stone From the Sun. not that I’m complaining.

I feel like a heathen, but I just don’t love Buddy Rich solos. They are too much stunt and not enough cool syncopation for me. Unquestionable talent, but not to my taste.

2 Likes

Aretha Franklin : Rocksteady

2 Likes
2 Likes

@tropo I’m biased, but I really think the Fishbone version is better. so, so good.

funkiest Prince song I could think of off the top of my head:
Scarlet Pussy

I have to honor the original. I saw Fishbone live 3 times (twice in SF) back in the day, so I’ve probably got some bias there as well.

1 Like

I was reminded of this by the “Bad trips may be good for you” thread, but it seemed to fit better here:

Fugi : Mary, don’t take me on no bad trip

1 Like

Seen both live in concert multiple times. Highly recommended as live performers especially.

1 Like

Stop everything you are doing and watch/listen to Thru You. Now. I’ll wait.

4 Likes

Now that brings back memories. It was a standard when I was in the Tom Waters Band in 2000. I look adorable, and a heck of a lot less grey hairs.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ll see your Kutiman (I fucking love Kutiman) and raise you a Bongolian.
(n.b. it is entirely acceptable at the 2 minute mark to stop whatever you are doing, stick your arms out wide and zoom around pretending to be a spaceship for the next five minutes. Like, totally okay)

(ETA: I just made a slip of the mouse and totally segued the Bongolian into Kutiman in separate Youtube tabs. How 'bout that? :smiley: )

2 Likes

Also Big Boss Man who are a related act. Cozy up to your bass bins:

This topic was automatically closed after 312 days. New replies are no longer allowed.