Futuracha, a beautiful, ornamental typeface that magically adjusts as you type

There is a zero missing from that budget.

7 Likes

Been there. In the height of the Flash era, I built a site for a pretty well known Lower East Side jazz bassist with a custom music player, fancifully-animated menus, unnecessary screen wipes between pages and a data-driven event calendar (ever import data into early versions of Flash? It’s…unfun) for, oh yeah, $500. To be fair, it was symbiotic. I wanted an opportunity to show off my rad Flash skillz. It took a while to learn that what I actually wanted to be making was video games. Alas I’m…still a web developer.

5 Likes

Weird - video won’t play.

But just looking at it, it looks like something from the 20s or 30s that would be on a cover and chapter pages about space men from Mars.

1 Like

Oh jeeze. Did she cover your medical bill for the busted gut from laughing?

8 Likes

If everyone followed the rule “write nothing you wouldn’t want your mother to read” on the Internet, there would be no Internet.

I think it’s a cool looking font for some applications. The “dynamic” aspect of it offers an almost custom typeface look for people/companies who couldn’t otherwise afford to have a graphic designer do it.

I just finished doing a set of Moo business cards, each with a different colorway, quote, and typeface. I totally would have used Futuracha on one of them had I known about it. I will probably use it on the next batch just to try it out.

I also like that the name of the font is a portmanteau of “Future” and “Sriracha.” It is, right @Odysseas_Gp? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s usually a setting you can adjust in the page layout software like Adobe Indesign.

Btw, you know my mother reads the bbs, and specifically looks for my posts, right?

#Hi mom!

11 Likes

I honestly can’t see writing text with this, but it’s okay for logos and titles and such. Bars and restaurants with kind of an updated Art Deco feel to them could really use this font… but sparingly.

I kinda like this, but in moderation. People who are expecting this to be the next Times New Roman (or even the next Comic Sans or Papyrus) are missing the point, I think.

2 Likes

I like Edgar Rice Burroughs. Long story. That probably explains why I like this font.

2 Likes

I am a huge fan of deco. So I have two observations, one is a compliment and the other is constructive.

Ligatures just look carping cool. Aesthetic, refined, well thought out, as design and/or art.

In very few cases do they improve readability. For a logo or sign that is a feature. But say a Medium article? Times, helvetica, calibri.

4 Likes

I can watch, but cannot listen to the video as it features the specifically cloying combination of ukelele and toy piano

3 Likes

Garamond.
Baskerville.
or, if you’re feeling progressive/frisky,
OpenDyslexic

The last research I read about this sort of thing seemed to indicate Serif fonts were easier to read at smaller sizes- thus why they’re used for so many books.
Also: I just really like those first two.

4 Likes

Garamond is alright.

If you have no taste. (I am just teasing, of course)
:octopus::squid::octopus::squid::octopus::squid:

2 Likes

I figured it was futura + Mucha?

(Or is that the joke?)

2 Likes

I did some headhunting at one point, and would summarily discard any résumé submitted in Garamond.

3 Likes

I write all resumes in impact bold. All caps. So they know I am serious.

Ironically my font color of choice is #FFE.

2 Likes

Some wag here (I forget who) once pithily reduced the entirety of the graphic designer experience down thusly: ‘Imagine drawing pictures you hate for people who think you’re stupid’.

11 Likes

Me too! /fistbump

Anyone else look at the title of this thread and immediate burst into a round of:

:musical_score: :notes: La Futuracha, La Futuracha, ya no puede caminar. :musical_note:

13 Likes

I’m not sure I’d get enough use it is this typeface to make it worthwhile but I hope this model works out for you because I’d like to see more high quality typefaces developed and distributed with this model.

I’m a TDF user (exclusively on commercial licenses) and I’m frequently disappointed by the quality of the fonts. I’m not expecting $500/variant quality at those prices but the quality for the fonts should at least be better than non-knockoff free font downloads.

Best of luck. I may buy just to throw my monetary 2p behind y’all’s model.

4 Likes

It could be used if its ligatures were flatter and more horizontally oriented. It would look more like Hindi’s nagari font, but with horizontalities above and below.

Basically, less leggy ligatures.