FYRE Fest for kids — "Willy Wonka Chocolate Experience" leads to tears and anger

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/27/fyre-fest-for-kids-willy-wonka-chocolate-experience-leads-to-tears-and-anger.html

4 Likes

So they got the attitude right for the Oompa-Loompas, at least.

18 Likes

That’s pretty much how the movie went, no?

16 Likes

Lose Willy Wonka GIF

25 Likes

Hey, at least they all made it out without turning into a giant blueberry, or almost drowning in a toxic “chocolate” river

More than can be said for the book.

Pretty sure its appropriate for the source material, children being dissapointed.

10 Likes

Not even a (gum)ball pit?

10 Likes

Grifters keep on running these things- every so often another one pops up. Usually they’re on a christmas theme, and they all end up with the same outcome- dissapointed customers when the whole scheme falls flat.

There must be some sort of payoff if the same scam keeps on getting run- but with everyone clamouring for refunds, and the inevitable chargebacks that this will encounter from the banks, I can’t see how they get the money out. A few arrests might tip the risk/reward calculation far enough that it eventually stops?

12 Likes

Organizer: Hey, kid! Congratulations, you just won the factory!

Child: [looking around skeptically] Uh, thanks but to be honest I don’t think I want…

Organizer: No backsies! Bye! [yelling to crowd as they run out back door with briefcase full of cash] HEY IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT TO REGISTER THIS GUY IS THE ONE IN CHARGE.

20 Likes

“Willy Wonka Chocolate Experience” leads to tears and anger

Isn’t that kind of how the movie goes, though?

6 Likes

IRS: Hello, you owe us $3.8million in back taxes.

Investors: We were promised a 38% return.

Oompa Loompas: We’re owed 3 weeks back pay.

11 Likes

The pic of the one blazed-out Oompa Loompa staff really should’ve been the article picture or at least in the article. It’s my duty to share it in the forum, at least:
https://twitter.com/Vietpride218/status/1762325231970972005

25 Likes

Money Laundering? I’ve come to assume that any business that just doesn’t make sense is money laundering.

13 Likes

Robot Chicken already showed a version of that ending years ago:

11 Likes

Looks like someone got video:

6 Likes

I captioned this one: “What am I doing here? I went to Julliard.”

14 Likes

I thought it seemed a teeny bit familiar. I have the vague impression that this one’s getting more attention as they were flaunting some flagrantly AI-generated art.

6 Likes

That they used only AI-generated imagery, including this one:

should really have been a clear indicator to prospective attendees that no expense had been spared spent. That they didn’t even proof the image, and kept the nonsense text, should really have been a warning that this was a zero-effort scam*. Unless people really were looking forward to “sweet teats.”

*I guess people really haven’t had enough time to recognize AI-generated content and realize that it’s the clear indicator of a scam. I expect that to change (which is really going to impact the market for every other use of AI-gen images).

17 Likes

Lazy bastards making the new intern do all the work.

meth-lab

18 Likes

Talk about false advertising. Suddenly the severe disappointment of the attendees makes total sense.

8 Likes

“Where else can you see some catgacating, or experience cartchy tuns!? Hmm, exarserdray lollipops - my favorite kind!”

7 Likes