The Willy Wonka Chocolate Experience fiasco is lurching back to life as a musical

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/22/the-willy-wonka-chocolate-experience-fiasco-is-lurching-back-to-life-as-a-musical.html

1 Like

I’m looking forward to the incompetent grifter who got the whole fiasco rolling suing for a share of the musical’s profits. It’s inevitable.

6 Likes

:notes:
Who can take a rainbow (who can take a rainbow?)
And wrap it in a sigh (wrap it in a sigh)
Soak it in the sun and make a groovy lemon pie?

This is not a rhetorical question (not a rhetorical question)
I’m in way over my head and I need to find a guy
:notes:

6 Likes

Since the dialogue was AI generated that would make for an interesting case

4 Likes

I hope the performers who did their best to make the experience enjoyable get parts. They deserve something for trying to be “sprinkles on shit”.

6 Likes

I don’t know that the event in effect had anything resembling a script - they certainly didn’t use the AI generated one, they were told to improvise. So I suspect nothing coherent was there to even make reference to (only the people who attended would know, and they were probably so angry they didn’t take it in). The whole event was also created as a knock-off Willy Wonka experience, so all the musical makers have to do is create their own “knock-off Willy Wonka” references and they’re golden. It’d work as a reference to the original event and be legally safe - it’s not like the event “organizer” can lay claim to either Willy Wonka or knock-offs thereof.

1 Like
2 Likes

The script is fascinating in how completely unusable it is - which is why they didn’t even try. I’m still curious what the actors actually did do, on the day, but I suspect no one remembers, particularly. (The actors having blotted out the traumatic memory, the audience pushed it out of their minds in angry bafflement.) Plus, I really doubt they managed to improvise anything like a coherent narrative, given the weird cast of characters they had from the AI script.

So really anyone making fiction about the event won’t know what actually took place there, in any sort of infringing detail, even if the AI script was subject to copyright (which I understand British courts haven’t ruled on at all).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.