Gallery of awful tech garbage at CES

That or they got hold of the plans for the Nutri-Matic, and it makes “a liquid almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.”

2 Likes

One of my past employers sold cheap computers through DAK.

Drew A. Kaplan (as I recall) stopped by our booth at trade shows a few times. I think he wore elevator shoes. When he was due to visit we stocked up on peach flavored Diet Rite soda.

I got the DAK catalog for many years. The one item I bought was a DAK breadmaker. Kind of a glass-domed R2D2. I used it now and then; eventually I lent it to my aunt who used it to make soy-product-free bread for my grandmother. She worked that thing to death! I got a far better bread maker with the money she sent in exchange.

5 Likes

After reading the article (collection? blog post?) you linked, I really wish I’d gone. It looks like it would be an outrageous amount of fun. Especially if I could get someone to pretend to be the journalist I’m camera operating for. :laughing:

2 Likes

It strikes me as something that could be incredibly fun if you either have a very specific thing to do or a very non-specific thing to do. The mushy middle seems nerve-wracking.

4 Likes

Count me in!

2 Likes

3 Likes

Well I’m battery man.

1 Like
2 Likes

I keep trying to work up the energy to make one of those. I don’t see this ever becoming a consumer product because any laser powerful enough to flash a bug is going to cause permanent blindness if it is aimed at, or reflects at, someone’s eyes.

1 Like

Replace them with UV LEDs. Things will fluoresce!

3 Likes

Closest thing to flying cars that I saw, but there was a fly BMW that I saw giving demo drives.

5 Likes

That would be a perfect hack - adding a backlit voltage gauge.

1 Like

Ooh…anyone make a set of these that would fit under a motorcycle helmet? Sound-blocking earbuds work well enough for audio GPS, but it would be nice to be able to use my proper earplugs.

2 Likes

There were some bicycle helmets that had embedded bone conduction earpieces as well as some other sensors. Unless they were modular and could be swapped into a new helmet, I don’t think that I would make that investment for a bicycle helmet.

2 Likes

Off-topic, but reminded how much I enjoy calling it a “bisicka hemmet”.

1 Like

It could work by multilateration. Fire a bunch of low power lasers at an object in 3D space, from different directions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.