Gallery of London's urban foxes

Coyotes don’t measure up to foxes in the charisma department but they have the voice category down cold.

4 Likes

You forgot: ‘Allowed into the country unchecked by EU courts’

4 Likes

It occurs to me that if that fox spends more of her time standing upright she’s going to need a wee little eight-cup bra.

Sorry. I’ve had entirely too many donuts today.

1 Like

Speaking of foxes and dogs.

4 Likes

I live in a London suburb adjacent to a forest and we are plagued by urban foxes. I was regularly woken in the small hours by their barking, until I started sleeping with earplugs. The biggest pack I’ve seen was six, loitering outside my parent’s flat one evening. Some are wary, but a lot are becoming quite domesticated, encouraged by people feeding them. I was wondering why a fox was sitting on the lawn opposite my house - until the woman started tossing food scraps to it from her front door. NO, LADY, THEY ARE WILD ANIMALS NOT PETS!

One time I left for work to discover a fox had devoured most of a pigeon, all except the bloodied wings which were neatly arranged on my front garden path as if I was being marked for some voodoo curse.

Here’s a photo I took of a fox nonchalantly trotting past the local supermaket on a Saturday afternoon. It was completely unfazed by the passers-by.

2 Likes

Why? I have never understood why for many, most?, people something being common necessarily means it is not a wonder.

2 Likes

There’s domesticated silvers, too.

1 Like

Because humans, as they become adults, are not encouraged enough to hold onto that sense of wonder and to continue to cultivate it?

2 Likes

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour

Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Perhaps we are all too ‘sophisticated’ now.

3 Likes

Urban foxes are not to be confused with urbane foxes:

7 Likes

I still go out into my back yard and marvel at the trees we have…the wonder of a disconnected branch that continues to be supported by other branches, despite the heavy winds that could’ve dislodged it.

I marvel at my cat, a different species but still an animal, who deigns to allow me to feed him and care for him, who has reflexes and eyesight far beyond my own. And at the sky, when I’m able to see Orion and his Belt clearly, even though I live in the suburbs of Detroit.

I’d rather be dead than to lose my senses of humor and wonder.

6 Likes

A dog thinks: Hey, those people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me…They must be gods! A cat thinks: Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me…I must be a god!

8 Likes

Has anybody ever speculated as to what, if anything, these foxes might say?

/ducks

3 Likes

That’s an oldie, lol!

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.