Game about version control is a real Git

Originally published at: Game about version control is a real Git | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Obligatory:

As for this game, it looks neat and yet I’m a hard pass. So much of my day job involves deciphering git messes that I got stressed out just looking at those screenshots. :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Also obligatory:
https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/

Note: many terms I found hilarious the first time I saw this I then discovered to be the real thing.
I mean, how has ‘reflog’ not something to do with BDSM?

4 Likes

Git became so much easier once I learned that saving a known good copy of the .git folder is all I needed to be able to completely recover.

2 Likes

I’ll be trying this out later (today or next) as a potential teaching tool. I’m tasked at work with migrating our SVN repo to Azure GIT, addressing the changes in our CI/CD environments and ensuring all our in house and contract developers are trained up and ready to go with the new source control tool. We have ~400 some small-to-medium projects.
I hope against all hope this won’t drive me to Lovecraftian levels of madness.

4 Likes

If you fancy, or even tolerate, emacs (i confess i use it for most things), then there’s an excellent emacs git “porcelain”: magit (portmanteau for magic-git). It’s really good. It takes any obscure git action and makes it clear what it will do, and does it. And, of course, it’s easily load-able (and delete-able) via emacs packaging manager. (Here’s a nice walk through)

Git “clicked” for me when I stopped googling on how to do stuff, and following borked tutorials.
The book is clear enough.

3 Likes

I have been an emacs zealot for about 30 years, but I must admit that VS Code managed in what I though impossible: making me switch.
Among other things, its built-in git integration, with some minor help from extensions (I use git-blame and git-graph), is outstanding for my use pattern.
Clear menus, simple graphics, very accessible everyday actions.
The integrated command line fills in the very few holes (usually this involves solving s.o.else’s f***ups).

3 Likes

Instead of keeping a copy of your .git folder you can just more aggressively push to a remote. The other benefit is that you’re still safe even if your computer blows up. I usually do that and create a lot of local tags that I can go back to in case anything gets borked.

3 Likes

Naturally, git has a command that will do this for you- “git bundle” will give you a single file with the whole folder packaged up. You can then use “git clone” on the bundle file to extract it elsewhere.

5 Likes

I generally only save off a copy of the .git folder when I’m mucking about with the repo structure - just in case I seriously break something. For plain code changes I’ll push to remote regularly.

https://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/

I… wow. Now I know how others feel.

I know (most) of those words, but not in the way they’re used!!

Torvalds sarcastically quipped about the name git (which means “unpleasant person” in British English slang): “I’m an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First ‘Linux’, now ‘git’.” The man page describes Git as “the stupid content tracker”. The read-me file of the source code elaborates further:

“git” can mean anything, depending on your mood.

• random three-letter combination that is pronounceable, and not actually used by any common UNIX command. The fact that it is a mispronunciation of “get” may or may not be relevant.
  • stupid. contemptible and despicable. simple. Take your pick from the dictionary of slang.
  • “global information tracker”: you’re in a good mood, and it actually works for you. Angels sing, and a light suddenly fills the room.
  • “goddamn idiotic truckload of sh*t”: when it breaks
1 Like

I love that page. They are all so utterly plausible as a real git command.

1 Like

At my work we have basically given up on having multiple branches. Whatever else about git, it enables some seriously dysfunctional project management workflows.

Yes.
There’s only one editor.

2 Likes

This sounds very strange and very constraining both for developers and maintainers.
But maybe I’m misunderstanding.
Of course it’s possible to have dysfunctional PM with any tool…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.