'Game of Thrones' fans abandoning huskies at an alarming rate

Are greyhounds pretty low maintenance? I never knew that. Seems like they’d be higher energy, but I don’t know much about them.

2 Likes

I’d say jail the breeders and fine the lowlifes abandoning them, but the fines would almost certainly cause a lot of them to be killed by the owners or someone paid to do it since these assholes are probably cowards as well.

Dog breeders deserve a special place in hell.

7 Likes

For my generation (X) and prior, it was dalmatians, with a resurgence when the live-action movie was made.

Does anyone older than me know if sheepdogs or siamese cats were a thing when The Shaggy DA or That Darn Cat came out?
Good thing football-playing mules never became a thing.

11 Likes

Some blame goes to exploitative pet stores as well. Around my part of the country, “Furry Babies” is absolutely disgusting.

6 Likes

I remember the Dalmations craze too!

7 Likes

They’re very content to laze about on a couch all day. One trip to the park for a few insane runs that are over in about 20 minutes, and that’s about it. When you get them from the track they’re already a couple years old, so they’re not puppies.

11 Likes

Ah! So their previous life as a track dog helps, then, as well as their age. Plus, you’re giving a doggo a home who probably needs one. Thanks!

Me three!

4 Likes

#BoycottGameOfThrones

5 Likes

Neighbors when I was a kid bred Dalmatians. Horrible people. The Dalmatians were viscous and congenitally deaf, which didn’t concern them in the slightest.

Still, I’d rather millions of abandoned and feral huskies, or even Dalmatians, than the current plague of pit bulls.

6 Likes

Growing up we had a Husky/German Shepherd mix. He was the goodest boy ever.

17 Likes

Can we correlate the use of pupper and doggo (and doge) with an increase as well? People want a pupper, not a puppy. Puppers don’t make messes or get sick or pee in the wrong spot. Puppies do. Doggos don’t show aggression or run away or have big vet bills. Dogs do.

PS
Pleeeasssse… name the cat Ser Pounce!

2 Likes

Couldn’t afford the jungle for it so just got a taxi receipt printer (http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Sound_effects)

2 Likes

jon-snow-no

7 Likes

Maybe with dogs more generally, but this looks to be a specific type of dogs who have been adopted based on an interest in the shows/books. Others (@Magdalene and @knoxblox) noted other specific breeds of dogs who were popular due to a TV show or film. Any dog can be a puppers or doggo.

If I get another cat, that’s a possibility!

3 Likes

my cousin who grew up with dogs in india (where I guess the staff must’ve taken care of them) bought his kid a beagle and then they returned it 3 months later because the puppy kept crying at night and pooping. I asked, didn’t you know you had to train it…they said yes, but it was a unanimous decision (wife was always against…she’s a nice person but knowing she doesn’t like dogs changes my opinion of her), father maybe was busy and had to do all the work, the kid didn’t know what to do (even though he volunteers at the firehouse, I guess the work ethic wasn’t taught at home. what a poor kid).

anyway…I’m rambling…net net my opinion is that whoever gives up a dog like this needs to be fined alot of money. also someone should be able to spank them in public (I don’t care if the owner is an adult …they still need a spanking).

also…I like all animals … but if you are a cat person please … I hate you…

2 Likes

FWIW my grand-puggle and I often debate if he’s a doggo or a big ol’ puppers. He doesn’t say much - just licks my face.

6 Likes

Good answer from the doggo-puppers! 15/10!

6 Likes

Sitting on the floor like a blob waiting for us to walk over and dangle the toy in front of his face?

6 Likes

I owned 2 huskies back in the day when i was young and we ended up re-homing them. I would say that the shedding is real, and might be a problem, but i would say that proper training and exercise will be the main vector for causing issues. These are energetic, intelligent dogs and if they aren’t given proper instruction and work to do they will get bored and will develop behavioral problems that can become severe enough for the owner to want to get rid of them.

5 Likes

OMG - you are so right - they are vicious, horrible animals.

I could not figure out why it was so hot last night, and I could not sleep. - It was because my horrible, vicious rescue Pit Bull - Penny, was snuggled up in the MIDDLE of my bed.

She just likes being near me - -

#mostspoiledever

6 Likes