Game Of Thrones Recap: Mountains And Vipers And Beetles, Oh My! [s4e8]

That’s not the word you’re looking for :smile:

I think there are probably a lot of folks in the world that would say our present characterized by those things too. Its just that those people probably don’t get HBO.

I think it is worth pointing out that Martin’s foremost inspiration is rooted in medieval history; specifically an equally sprawling French novel called “Les Rois Maudits” (The Accursed Kings).

Having read- and loved- Les Rois Maudits years before I knew of Song of Ice and Fire, I immediately saw the similarities between the two, including the numerous, interconnected characters/POV’s and the ruthlessness of their fates, especially the pure, innocent ones. That said, Les Rois has solid footing in actual history, beginning with the Knights Templar’s trials and executions and covering the Capetian dynasty. The book is a succession of conspiracies, betrayals, torture, assassination plots, wars, gruesome punishments/executions etc, etc… yet it is not wanton violence invented by a depressed author: While there is no doubt lots of artistic license in the characterization, every single assassination, trial, torture and death is historical fact.

In terms of overall brutality, Martin is capturing the harshness of medieval society in a setting of war and crisis. I would say the main difference I noticed between the two books (aside from the inclusion of high-fantasy in Martin’s) is that there is more romance and sex in Martin’s, both positively (several more depictions of loving, intimate behaviours) and negatively (more rape scenes). This could be because it features more female POV characters altogether and more accounts of peasant girls’ fate in times of siege and war and prostitutes. Les Rois sticks more to events directly faced by the main characters (kings, knights, queens etc) at more politics than romance.

Spoilers!

I just found out this was instagrammed two months ago by Lena Headey (Cersei). Cheeky.

2 Likes

Well sure. And we get the impression from the books that there have been centuries long periods of relative peace and prosperity. 300 years of Targaerean rule was mostly OK, with a few skirmishes - probably having some dragons to torch your enemies would be a fairly good deterrent to mischief.

We are reading/watching a period of horrific turmoil. The 100 Years war, Italy for a few centuries leading up to and including the Renaissance, the Crusades. For all the horrors that have happened in the book, they are insignificant compared to our own world from 1936-45, for that matter. WWII was a lot more than just some noble sacrifice on Juno beach, much as we’d all love to remember it that way.

Given the scope of human history, a year in which your town is not sacked, burned or raided by Mongols, Cossacks, Aztecs, Germans, British, French, Venetians, Corsairs, Vikings, Malay raiders, Japanese soldiers, Haida, Special Forces, Vandals, Huns, Visigoths, Janjaweed or anyone else is probably a fairly good year.

Though the novels and show dwell on a violent period, and are probably leading up to some pinnacle of violence, and they do make humans of all the characters who die - all the people who die in real violence are humans with stories and personality too. Every single person who didn’t make it off a landing craft on D-Day was a human with a story, not just a uniform with a number. Every knight who died in the crusades, every noble executed in the French Revolution. Many/most of them didn’t deserve what happened to them. I personally think Martin is doing a great job in humanizing the faceless, nameless troops and knights who die in wars and chaos all the time.

4 Likes

Right. . but I wasn’t saying that ‘I think it’s awesome that there are narrow stretches where Martin could be considered historically accurate’.

I was saying ‘of all the great fantasy series out there I’d rather have another one that’s got some actual joy in it too’.

Because joy ALSO happens. A lot actually.

If I want to be sad or angry when I watch TV I’ll turn on Fox News.

And as a loyal geek, I think I deserve one of the other 99% of epic fantasies that are somewhere in between ‘hugs and puppies’ and ‘kitten rape’.

I want to be occasionally inspired and happy when I watch my fantastic epic.

[Minor spoiler] Although at least a few get the “wait… I thought that character was dead!” treatment later down the road.

Oberyn was a minor character trumped up to be more than he was. He showed up because his uncle couldn’t be bothered, and he was focused on revenge. Vengeful people make mistakes, and mistakes are punished in GoT.

Many, many people do not die in GoT. They just may not be the people you expect. It makes it all the sweeter when the people that you feel are invincible finally get offed (Joffrey, anyone? Who died like a punk?).

For those who haven’t read the book, you’re in for a fun last couple episodes! Wheee!

1 Like

Of course, in many historical monarchies committing adultery with the king’s wife was high treason precisely because it cast doubt on the paternity of the heir.

So Jaime would screw over the Lannisters, but only by confessing to a capital crime himself (not to mention breaking his oath as a Kingsguard).

Maybe, I am a deviant.

I’ve been catching a few off-hand comments about some character coming back from the dead somehow or some fashion. I’m curious how this is going to come about. I haven’t read the books. Let’s hope it’s that winterfell guy with the chin braids.

Not having read the books (cue Rage of Thrones) I can’t tell if it’s the writing of the character, the writing of the adaptation, or the acting, but I found Oberyn to bring a refreshing bit of foreign culture and perspective to the usual mix.

We’ve been watching a LOT of humorless plot movers in this series: from the Slytherin-style power players like Tywin, Cersei and Littlefinger, to the Khaleesi’s long, long slog of visiting exotic lands, killing everyone who disagrees with her politics and moving on to the next, and pretty much everybody in the dour North and whereabouts (including Stannis, Bolton, Frey, the Ironborn, the Night’s Watch, the Wildlings, the freaking zombies and every dead Stark).

Yes, it’s a grim and serious world, but that’s a lot of grim and serious characters to watch for something that’s supposed to be entertaining. To me that’s why some of the most relatable characters are the ones with a bit of outsider spirit, who not only have a bit more unherolike humanity and common sense but also manage to laugh – however darkly – at the absurdity of all that dead seriousness: Tyrion of course, but also the Hound (he’s on a roll lately with the zingers), Renly Baratheon (“Born amidst salt and smoke. Is he a ham?”), Olenna Tyrell, even the Jean Reno onion knight. Oberyn, being sort of a Inigo Montoya showoff Spaniard type, had already earned his place in this shortlist in my opinion.

So, minor or not, can we not mourn the victory of inhumanity over humanity in a bit of fiction? If all the characters with a sense of humor get offed for the sin of lovable roguishness (as some were already) and every shred of comedy dies for the sake of tragedy, will it still be worth watching? I think of Star Wars without Han Solo or Breaking Bad without Jesse, Hank and Saul.

1 Like

Oh sure, it sucks that Oberyn’s dead – he’s a fun guy! He’s also obsessed with his sister’s killer. Dorne is an interesting place, but the people have the same flaws as the rest of Westeros (and the world). I think there’s two reasons his death is so resonating, besides the “fun guy” element. One, his death dooms Tyrion, who seemed like he was going to come out ahead. Two, he had already won! His hubris (and he’s got enough for at least half of Westeros) dooms him.

Personally, I’ve been a big fan of the development given to Arya. In the books, they walk around a bit and then she runs off (essentially). Here, Clegane is giving her some great advice and she seems to be relishing her role.

This isn’t a spoiler, but I will say that there are still many high highs and low lows to look forward to, across at least the currently printed books.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.