Game platform Steam set to ban sexy toons

Yes, it does run the risk of one being completely ignored, and that’s just the worst thing ever.

2 Likes

Two questions.

Do you assume people who say they’re going to “vote with their wallet” believe that’s all they should do?

Is it a neo-liberal capitalist idea to take ethical considerations into account when deciding who and what to support with money? I mean, if I decide to support Dick’s Sporting Goods because they refuse to sell high-capacity rifles, or I decide not to support Uber for their various notorious business practices, how is that not what most people mean when they say they’re going to vote with their wallet? And are you saying that’s a bad thing, or merely ineffectual. If the latter, can you provide data to back that up?

Just to be clear, I’m not questioning your idea that voting with your wallet isn’t going to unilaterally solve social problems. Obviously it won’t and anyone who thinks it will is seriously misinformed; but hopefully you don’t think everyone who uses that phrase thinks that. I’m just wondering what you mean by neo-liberal capitalist idea. In a capitalist economy, it seems like simple pragmatism to take ethical considerations into account when deciding whom to give money.

I’d like to believe we are. I’m not so sure.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.