Game store accused of opening collectible card games and resealing them

Doesn’t matter if you dont give a shit about tournament play. I know a bunch of people who play in regular casual games or meetups. There was like a beer league thing at an MMA gym for a while. Proxy decks are one of the the regular play styles in the rotation for some of them. So are games with older rule sets. Or games built around “expired” sets that aren’t ok for tournement play (I almost tagged along for Tempest night since thats the last time I paid enough attention to know the name of a set).

This is not necessarily a bad thing.
If you get ripped off a couple of times, perhaps you will rethink your decision to pray at the altar of mindless consumerism? There are no values lost here, except for that money in your bank account that you apparently have too much of.

It’s a “spindown” die where the numbers run sequentially around the sides of the die instead of opposite faces adding to 21. This means that all of the large numbers are on one side of the die so with a little bit of skill you can increase your odds of rolling above a ten.

Games Workshop has a similarly avaricious model. For a substantial chunk of money to start out you get a playable game with enough plastic figures to paint and have fun with. But if you’re playing competitively against others, you can’t win with the “vanilllin troopen” that come in the box. You’ll need cast pewter “Hissing slitherers” and “Slihering hissers” to create a winning army.

No, but they chewed all the flavor out of it and put it back.

I understand the capabilities, but why would you go through the effort with MTG? I assume there is a reason for it on this Key Forge game (puts real cards into online game?) Sure that makes sense.

But creating a database so that people can confirm their booster packs weren’t some how repacked doesn’t seem like a good use of time and money. That is, it isn’t a common enough problem (or perhaps even a problem at all) to warrant the extra effort.

Now, if they came up with something like scanning the pack code gives you the cards online or something, then sure. You’re adding a feature as part of the game.

What I learned to do with the kiddo is get the new pre-made decks and just play them. They are generally well balanced and you can play the game with out investing $$$. Indeed when she was gifted some booster packs, I think the deck she made made it weaker.

And for variety, they come out with these new pre-made decks with every new release, so if one deck gets a bit predictable, you can try another one.

I admit I am a recovering MTC-aholic. Oh I wish I hadn’t sold the bulk of my collection for a decent price for the time back in the day. But after the kiddo played a game or two with it somewhere, she wanted to give it go. She isn’t super into it but seems to enjoy it when we dig them out.

1 Like

I’ve never played a game of it, but I’ve spent a fair chunk of money buying the miniatures just for painting. I have a fair sized night goblin army, I enjoyed painting. Wouldn’t have minded playing but just not got around to it or new anyone else interested.

Back in the day we’d buy/paint ral partha miniatures and use them for DnD or just make our own war gaming rules up.

The reason Key Forge uses the QR code is that each deck is unique and there is no deck customization. You go into a tournament with the deck you bought off the shelf. Theoretically it’s supposed to recreate the thrill of buying a preconstructed deck and figuring out how it works. It’s an interesting idea but I’m not sure I see the long term appeal.

1 Like

One of the more avid Magic players I know switched to Magic from Warhammer 40k. Because Magic was cheaper.

That said he still paints. Mostly for other people. And occasionally get paid a good rate to do it for hire. His interest was mostly in assembling and painting the miniatures. I asked him why he didn’t just do model kits. Apparently he prefers painting tiny things.

1 Like

Not to defend Games Workshop in general, but the plastic/metal decision isn’t necessarily directly exploitative. Making molds for plastic casting is very expensive, but you can use them just about forever and the plastic feedstock is cheap; you just need to sell enough of them to make back the mold investment. Metal is the other way around, you can make the molds in your garage but the material is expensive. So it’s an economy-of-scale thing–figures they expect to sell lots of are cast in plastic, stuff that gets used at most once or twice per army is cast in metal. (Vehicles are usually plastic regardless, since the extra bulk would drive up material and shipping costs if they used metal.)

GW is still horribly exploitative and you shouldn’t patronize them, just maybe not for that specific reason. Their figure prices are pretty much in line with the rest of the industry.

1 Like

Oh you’re completely right about the real world economics of plastic vs pewter. But it is the in-game costs to add the fancy lead figures to an army list that usually makes them a necessity to play competitively. If they were more expensive IN GAME it wouldn’t be such a necessity to spend as much real world money. . And hey, if you don’t want to play competitively in the stores tournaments, it doesn’t matter. You CAN certainly have plenty of fun playing in your basement with friends using mostly plastic leavened with a few lead figures for variety.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.