Gentleman shows off his deck of "found" playing cards, Reddit accuses him of fraud

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/05/gentleman-shows-off-his-deck-o.html

1 Like

People are odd.

9 Likes

I feel like it would be easier to actually make a deck than to waste the time to photoshop these cards. Combined with the time to come up with the idea. I wish I had this amount of time to waste.

16 Likes

15 Likes

And to still get it wrong.

6 Likes

18 Likes

Ah! Thanks for the info. Damnit, now I’m glad someone called him out.

11 Likes

Here’s the part I don’t get:

• Post a fake awesome thing on the internet.
  • People say wow.
  • But it’s not like they know you, or will ever meet you.
  • Proved fake!!1!
  • But it’s not like they know you, or will ever meet you.

Really, where’s the payoff? Do you think, one day, people will be sitting around a bar, discussing “All Your Base Are Belong to Us,” and you’ll say, “yea, I made that,” and they’ll say wow?

5 Likes

If i met the guy that made All Your Base i would definitely say wow :smiley:

This card shit? It’s like… whatever man.

8 Likes

But, you see, you won’t.

I went to the thread and saw that there seems to be a reasonable explanation for this. (Cards scanned separately, then organized to make a poster with confusing aesthetic choices.)

Then I wondered why I was being sent to a completely random and pointless internet argument on Reddit from Boing Boing, let alone coming back here to post about it.

Then I figured I may as well just browse Reddit if I want to read all the Reddit arguments, but then I tried to remember why it was that I try to stay out of Reddit arguments and read Boing Boing instead.

Now I’m going to lunch.

19 Likes

Well, he was selling prints of the poster and replica decks. So I wouldn’t say there was no reason.

6 Likes

It was a cool idea though.

2 Likes

Yep. There’s always one joker in the deck.

16 Likes

Give it a name.

Huh… I was expecting something more mathsy, one of those “estimated frequency of card pickups vs steadily decreasing chance of finding a card you need means it’s negligibly probable for this to take less than a million years” sort of things. But that’s just some sloppy hoaxing right there.

5 Likes

Reddit now thinks it’s genuine: https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/6y7g4t/after_5_years_i_finally_completed_a_full_playing/dmll9fq/

1 Like

MgM917xXaTwdi

7 Likes

Unless you’re spending a lot of time in Vegas nightclub back alleys.

1 Like