Games Workshop, of Warhammer fame, declares war on fan videos

I never played the board game, but I played some of the Computer Games.
They do not always explain all the Backgrounds of all the groups
It was thanks to fan videos on Youtube that I was able to figure out all the details of the universe .

Ending fan films is a bad choice .
When you have a universe as complex as 40K , all banning fan films does is alienate people who might look at the games .
This is going to cost them in the long run.

3 Likes

Just remembered that I do have a Space Hulk Board Game and Bloodbowl .
So I have played some of the board games but not the big collect miniatures to build a army game that is Warhammer 40K

2 Likes

If you worship at the altar of profit—by, for example, playing a video game—you must expect to sacrifice to its gods.

Bryan Ansell decided to clip White Dwarf’s wings in 1986. The editorial staff, which had been hitherto reluctant to shill for Games Workshop/Citadel, quit.

In 1991, he bought out two of the original founders. From then on, all semblance of independence was lost.

3 Likes

I want to know how far you’re going to take this.

Is watching a movie “worshipping at the altar of profit”? Listening to a live musical performance when you’ve paid to enter? Is eating food? Wearing clothes?

2 Likes

Motion Twin would like to talk to you about alternative economic theories.

3 Likes

There are some aspects of the story that get a little lost here, but you bring up a good example. The animator who created Astartes was signed up to produce content for wh+ but was then hounded off the IP by some of the fandom crying out that he was a ‘sellout’. Also, the most recent fan art channel to fall, TTS, was pulled without gw sending a c+d. It is pretty Draconian to pull all fan art, but I have had work pulled which parodied the old commodore label and was threatened with thousands of pounds in damages (I managed to argue enough to stop them continuing with the legal challenge), and also had parodies of 80s horror movie characters pulled. It’s their IP, so I just shifted to other work. Part of the reason I think is that yt is a monetised platform.

1 Like

IIRC, the Astartes guy is working for GW. The guy who quit the fandom after idiots harassed him for “selling out” when he took the GW up on their offer was SODAZ, another quite talented animator.

1 Like

Aha, yes - my mistake!

1 Like

I am positive that that must exist, but I can honestly say that it has never occured to me to look for it! It still will not, since viewing such a thing would have to cost more Sanity points than I have left

1 Like

Nope, nope, nope.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a thing right now.

1 Like

Wow, lime green without an attempt to paint them. That’s rubbish. (For Imperial units. For Orks, a sticker with “JREAT PAINT JOOB!” would work.)

I’m surprised that GDW hasn’t made the effort to create “sanctioned” tournaments. It wouldn’t cost them more than some cheap swag, and they could slide in a clause to forbid 3D printing.

1 Like

They don’t really have to when GW has convinced tournament organisers that 3D-printed models are “bad for the hobby” when they’re really just bad for GW’s profit margin.

I can understand the organisers wanting to ban unpainted miniatures, since painting a WH4K army is of at least equal importance to the hobby as is rolling it out in battle. But banning 3D-printed models is just the organisers making voluntary donations to the GW Benevolent Stockholder’s Fund by saving the company money on expensive IP lawyers and cheap swag costs.

1 Like

I think without of the whole YouTube series called what if the Emperor had text-to-speech that most folks wouldn’t know much about WH40k outside of the hardcore fan circles. Seriously, banning fan content is just ridiculous. It smacks of the same BS Paramount has tried to do with the Star Trek fandom.

1 Like

Are you talking about Axanar by any chance? It really shouldn’t surprise anyone that Paramount came down on him when he was trying to make his own Star Trek feature film, with all the Star Trek IP, without a license or anything.

That was as clear a case of a fan going way too far and ruining it for everyone else as you’ll ever find.

It’s also gatekeeping to a very high degree. By requiring metal, painted armies, they are saying “only financially comfortable people with a lot of free time may participate”. Guess what that leads to? A very white male hobby.

Edit after reading the article linked above:

There is a hobby morality issue at stake here and if it goes unchecked, the community could be seeing an ugly, watered-down tabletop culture in days ahead.

Holy cow. I expected them to make my point, but not that hard. You might as well hang a sign on the door that says “no girls or black people”

5 Likes

The GW minis aren’t metal, haven’t been for years. Most are polystyrene plastic these days, with older and/or limited minis and ForgeWorld stuff being made from resin.

Also, “painted armies” is nowhere near the kind of a barrier to entry as you seem to think it is. For a lot of GW armies, you can get them to so-called “battle ready” standard, which is what GW aims for here, very quickly and easily, if you’re not trying to win painting awards or anything. And it definitely does not mean “no girls or black people”.

I mean, there are a lot of ugly things in Warhammer and 40k fandoms, sadly including racism and sexism. GW itself is a lot better with representation than it used to be, although hardly perfect, but they’re clearly trying.

To be clear, I’ve been playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle pretty continuously since the early 1990s. I’m well aware of the gatekeeping and culture in that community. Yes I know they aren’t all literally metal, but they are expensive. My Dwarf army is mostly plastic except for a few Heroes but it was still a huge investment in time and money to get even the modest units that I have. Now that I work two jobs, no way I could spend the time to do that anymore. That’s gatekeeping in action.

(PS. My mighty Dwarven siege machines will crush your insolence. Death from above, lads!)

7 Likes

Games workshop already has been manufacturing plastic miniatures for a while now. They started in the 1980s with plastic horses, as a lead horse with realistic proportions is top heavy and not very structurally sound.

Also 3D printing is a huge barrier to entry of a different kind.