Gardening games offer respite for anxious players

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/25/gardening-games-offer-respite.html

4 Likes

Bah! Real gardening is not safe. It’s wondrous and dangerous, and it’s not for the timid.

8 Likes

200%20(4)

8 Likes

Oh, great, one more thing that’s “not for the timid”. Leave me something, why don’t ya?

7 Likes

“…we must cultivate our garden.” ~ Voltaire by way of Candide

4 Likes

Other great games to zone out to and relax: Minecraft, No Man’s Sky, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing.

Currently i’m replaying No Man’s Sky, i bought it for PC this time around and its still great. It’s a very relaxing game to chill out to and casually play, i was able to rope my roommate into buying a copy but i’m trying to get to the point to where i can teleport to them so we can do multiplayer (which takes some time and effort).

4 Likes

This could easily be turned into an adventure game. Just add some Bindweed, Wild Grape, and Ivy (English for beginners, Poison for advanced). If the player manages to keep them all at bay (without a machete or flame thrower), they’ll win the prize - the rest of the plants will live to grow and bloom.

1 Like

I’m not seeing a blooming onion…

That requires both crafting and cooking expertise. Lvl up

5 Likes

Flowers is great. Smooth action, nice music, very pretty, and oh so satisfying when you collect enough petals.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of Thatgamecompany, also like their game Flow and Journey.

2 Likes

blooming_onion

Have you tried Sky yet? I’ve downloaded it, but haven’t started it up.

6 Likes

Nintendo needs to do more with the Mama games, they were actually decent

3 Likes

Here you go:

6 Likes

Ironically I play Traffic Racer on the subway to relax…also billiards.

1 Like

I know it’s not your article, Rob, but

In Stardew Valley crops can indeed fail, made clear to the player by turning a queasy brown color, but it’s because of player action, not natural processes.

is incorrect. They can actually turn that color due to seasonal change, which is absolutely a natural process. A regular sight on Fall 1 or Winter 1 are the fields you have, once full of greenery and vines, covered in the brown, rotted plants from the previous season - no matter how well you care for them. Not only that, but you have the natural spawning of scrap wood, rocks, weeds, etc as time passes, making your well-planned and tidy farm slowly go to chaos if you don’t keep up maintenance, or preplan and put down pavement or gravel to prevent the natural change.

(source: 500+ hours between my Stardew farms…yikes)

1 Like
2 Likes

Is that true again? I was really disappointed with one of the recent updates. The game got so grindy, even fuelling your ship properly felt like a daunting task. It seemed a lot less fun than when I had buckets of fuel, and felt like I could explore the current planet at will without always scavenging.

Last time i played was maybe about a year ago and i know they’ve done a bunch of updates since. Overall it feels the same to me, i haven’t had many issues with fueling my ship and i’ve basically been playing in the same manner that i always have. It could be that the way i like to play aligns with how they’ve done their balancing and updates while its discouraged you to play, might be possible. I typically don’t mind the grindy aspects of the game since i’m not playing it to progress but to mess around and explore… half the time i’m hoofing it on foot collecting resources (havent unlocked ground vehicles juuust yet).

1 Like

That makes me feel unsafe.