Gardening, Part 2

Seed trays are all full, and the shelves are full too. Some will be ready to start hardening off outside in another week or so.

13 Likes

We grow cherry tomatoes also, but I love my heirloom tye-dye and romas!

10 Likes

I put seeds in dirt yesterday! Everything’s going to be inside under a grow lamp for a while yet, but I’m really excited. I haven’t started the lettuces yet but will in another week or two.

12 Likes

Nice setup!

If you dont mind me mentioning, when the seedling emerge you may want to raise those seed trays up until they are just about 2 inches from the lights. You can use a cardboard box or something. In my picture just above I’m using 1" foam board but you dont have to get that fancy.

9 Likes

Oh, I was wondering about what the boards were! They need to be close to grow well?

8 Likes

so they don’t stretch… those lamps are nowhere near as strong as the sun.

10 Likes

If the seedlings are far from the light they’ll get all leggy and more likely to topple over. For plants like radishes that causes them to grow more teardrop shaped.

With the 1" boards I can lower the trays incrementally as the plants get taller.

ETA, another thing that helps is if you have a very small fan close by. It helps strengthen the seedlings by making them gird themselves against the light buffeting.

ETA2: the foam boards have a couple of other functions. They act as a firm base when carrying the trays outside (seed trays are kinda flimsy), and they have a reflective surface to bounce light back up to the plants.

12 Likes

Great suggestion, thank you! I had the lights set up as a houseplant ICU prior to this and it didn’t cross my mind that the lights should be closer. I think I have another wire shelf I can cannibalize and add two more shelves to lift them up. Otherwise, I’m sure I have something lying around that’ll do in a pinch.

11 Likes

Good to know. The setups I am seeing here are making me feel a bit ambitious about next year. I have unused garage space!

9 Likes

My pretty seedling is gone. I need more beer traps and probably diatomaceous earth when the wind dies down

9 Likes

Is starting the seedlings indoors on a window ledge an option?

7 Likes

Unfortunately no. This girl eats anything green and is quite good with lids. I might try pots in the patio.

16 Likes

It’s alive!!!

I need to do some thinning at some point soon. Got a little excited when planting the cress.

14 Likes

Peppers are finally sprouting. I had made a mistake in that I had left the tray on the concrete floor, so the soil stayed too cold for germination. Once I moved the tray under the lights they popped up from the warmth. Thankfully the seeds hadn’t rotted out.

13 Likes

Yesterday, we dug out the daylilies and replanted them in front of the blackberry vines, and the husband took out the post (it took a floor jack and telephone wire in lieu of rope to lift it out). Now there’s a rectangular patch in the middle of the garden, and it will be enclosed tp keep all the critters out of the bed. I’m doing the three sisters thing with tomatoes, and hopefully will have a trellis with peas.

The enclosure is still in the planning stage, but it’s still cold here, so there’s a few weeks until we need it.

12 Likes

My :sunflower: seedlings are growing fast! I almost planted them out this week, but happily life interfered, because there’s a freeze warning tonight! :cold_face:

14 Likes

2 Likes

Im trying growing spuds in grow bags this year.

A pack of ten 7-gallon bags cost $21 on CHOAM. They’re supposed to be good for five years.

I already had piles of topsoil around the house. Ammended with garden soil from the home store in a 2:1 ratio topsoil to garden soil. Throw it in the bag, stick two spuds in each bag, then wait. As you can see these spuds had already started to sprout.

11 Likes
9 Likes

I can’t stop watching videos from this aerogarden channel…

This guy is crazy like a fox! He grew beets!!!

And radishes!!!

Goats GIF

I’m gonna start a new garden in my aerogarden unit, so want to get some inspiration… Thinking of a mix of some salad, tomatoes, peppers, and maybe some cilantro?

10 Likes