Gardening, Part 2

How high can the lights be raised above the growth medium? I think that will be the limiting factor.

Peppers and tomatoes generally grow quite tall. You can find dwarf varieties of peppers, and some determinate varieties if tomatoes (Roma, San Marzano). Cilantro is a good one too.

I think you could easily grow a variety of lettuces, spinach, romaine, spring onions (multisown). Radish are another vegetable that grows quickly and can be multisown too.

9 Likes

You can also top tomatoes and peppers, forcing them to branch instead of go for columnar growth, it does take a few attempts to understand when works best, but it definitely works.

6 Likes

18 inches maybe? I canā€™t remember off the top of my head. What impressed me in the video was the things the guy was trying out and succeeding with.

Thatā€™s advice Iā€™ve seen online, generally, to go for dwarf varietiesā€¦

I also might end up starting some in the aerogarden, and then moving to a container outsideā€¦

5 Likes

Thats a good strategy for giving tomatoes and peppers a good headstart before putting them outside. Some critters like to chew up fresh seedlings but generally leave peppers alone once the stems turn woody.

Given the heat in your neck of the woods you may want to grow your lettuce indoors (or a shady spot). Hot weather will make it bitter and go to seed. The aerogrower would be handy for cropping lettuce indoors

6 Likes

I ran across a Micro Tom tomato plant at the local garden center. They are supposed to be quite small, 4-7 inches. The one I have is being munched by something so it isnā€™t doing too well

7 Likes

We had stormy windy weather last night, so I put the sunflower seedlings in what I thought was a safe place to keep them from getting blown over. This morning three of them had been freshly nipped off at soil level and then JUST LEFT THEM THERE :rage: It has to have been a chipmunk; the rabbit would have eaten the leaves at least.

I planted several of the survivors today. I hope that little shit of a chipmunk or its kinfolk in the front yard donā€™t find them.

10 Likes

Just cleaned my aerogarden and ā€œreplantedā€ with new things - mostly tomatoes and some peppers. I mixed in some herbs, which might not do as well, but I think I might move things to a container outside once they are goingā€¦

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

11 Likes

Day 135 since I started my tomato seeds. I just did some major cutting back, and I could maybe do a little more. Iā€™ve gotten only a handful of ripe tomatoes so far, but there are plenty of green ones.

Day 47 for these autoflowers. I donā€™t remember what strains.

14 Likes

What is the growing setup youā€™re using for your ā€œflowersā€? Iā€™m curious about the lamp more than anything else

4 Likes

So this is the light Iā€™m currently usingā€¦
SONLIPO SPC2500 LED Grow Light

Iā€™ve used it for a couple iterations of autoflowers. Itā€™s plenty bright, and puts off enough heat so the plants are happy, but not so much that the exhaust fan canā€™t keep up. It has a veg and flower mode, though not really necessary for autoflowers. The outer banks of lights pivot, so you can gat a little light on the sides of the plants. It has a timer built-in, but I use an external one that I can program on my phone.

9 Likes

Now that is squash!

Not sure how a nasturtium managed to get there, but Iā€™m going to leave it

Everything is growing well and Iā€™m only losing half the strawberries. I need to reset the beer traps and figure out how to lure the slugs in. Plus redo the birb netting

11 Likes

Me, every five minutes looking at my aerogarden for sprouts, even though Iā€™ve only put new seeds in 3 days agoā€¦

Happy Peek A Boo GIF by NTE GrĆøntforsprang

12 Likes

So, one thing, veg and flower mode are not what triggers flowering, even in plants which are not ruderalis crosses, they are triggered by light period, the amount of sunlight hours in a day, not the type of light.

That said, you should use the flowering mode on your flowering plants, because it provides more of the red spectrum, and should enhance production and resin growth.

5 Likes

Itā€™s been my experience that autoflowers are going to do what theyā€™re gonna do, regardless of any outside action ā€“ that after about 45 days or so, theyā€™ll begin to flower. But I didnā€™t know about the light quality and the terps. My last grow was disappointing, but I had that chalked up to the general chilliness of the season. I didnā€™t bother switching the light. I will now.

8 Likes

Yeah, the autoflowering plants are ā€œnormalā€ photoperiod flowering plants crossed with ruderalis hemp plants, which are from northern europe (Russia maybe?), and they start flowering at a set age because they grow so far north, by the time the days are short enough to start flowering in photosensitive plants, thereā€™s like 2 weeks to the first frosts, if the plants arenā€™t already ice coatedā€¦

The only problem with autoflowering plants is theyā€™re hemp plants, so they do bring down the potency of the overall strain a bit.

Been reading a bit more, some places say red during most of floweiring, and to switch back to blue (vegetative) for the last week or two to maximize resin, might be worth trying a round both ways, I definitely think more red will help with yeilds though.

6 Likes

Yeah, but itā€™s worth for the convenience and short life cycle. And everything that Iā€™ve grown has been plenty strong enough.

4 Likes

Its Happening Bernie Sanders GIF

8 Likes

The roses grew a lot after pruning and now they are blooming

ETA the bottom one is a Charles Darwin, which isnā€™t actually supposed to be a climber.

12 Likes

Maybe it evolved?

13 Likes

Happy Star Trek GIF
Iā€™ve read they can turn into climbers in ideal environments but didnā€™t think amended clay and partial shade is ideal. Itā€™s also possible the kid swapped the Darwin and the Teasing Georgia. They are very similar 'cept Teasing is a climber. But the second bush is also climbing. Iā€™m happy with it though

10 Likes