Gardening, Part 2

Hi everyone. I’ve been totally absent from BB for a couple of months, now. Major project consuming all my time (and more). Just coming back to the surface for air. (And I see my ‘custom made’ “Irregular” rank has been removed.)

I’ve not even had time to devote to my planting and sowing. But a month ago I did plant 30 new strawberry runners in a brand-new bed. The old bed had been through 2-3 cycles of plants (something like 6-8 years) and last year half of the plants gave up and died at the end of the season despite only being in their second year.

So a new bed and ordered-in runners it was.

You can just about make out this year’s garlic and elephant garlic in the background of the last photo.

j

9 Likes

First crop of asparagus, barely an amuse bouche at this point.

15 Likes

Also, bleeding hearts among the daffodils and others:

12 Likes

A minor miracle occurred today: no split or otherwise broken PVC pipes in the bodged together landscape water “system” when I turned the water back on this morning!
First time in the 7 years we’ve owned the place that I have not spent several days finding and repairing :tada:

12 Likes

Not actual gardening i guess. But i did take in the first small Ramps harvest for the year :grin:

12 Likes

Do you have issues keeping slugs off of the strawberries?
I fear they will do great damage to mine this year…

5 Likes

Not the plants.
Once they fruit it is a small problem but the old bed was planted through weed-prevention fabric. We’ll see about this year, as the new bed is (as you can see) bare earth.
And I’ve watered in nematodes the past couple of years. And last summer it was too hot and dry here (UK) for slugs to have much chance of proliferating.

7 Likes

Our recent freezing temperatures and snow flurries, plus major thunderstorms, don’t seem to have deterred the azaleas, at least:

12 Likes

Our cherry trees and bushes look none the worse for the wear. :+1: I need to take a pic of the weeping peach, she’s a beauty this year!

10 Likes

Please do!

Let’s play the plant identification game. Anyone know what this is? It looks a little like the golden rods we have elsewhere but the leaves are too thin. I don’t think it is horse weed, the stems on this are smooth and the pics of that show small hairs or spines. Stuff is everywhere this year

Edit to add: central Texas, black land prairie

Huh- maybe what I thought was goldenrod isn’t or is a different kind? This looks like the goldenrod here

7 Likes

Horseweed perhaps?

4 Likes

Quick shot of the new beds. Radishes, and various leafy greens. Garlic in the background. I made my raised beds an additional six inches higher this year and filled them with compost.

Also, spuds are in the grow bags. I moved the deck so this bare patch of ground is just right for spuds.

13 Likes

I think you are correct. The not-hairy threw me off but they are young plants. They do have a tap root

Your beds look great!

5 Likes

Looks like what is called goldenrod here (North Alabama). It spreads by lateral roots as well as self seeding all over the place, making it a PITA to remove. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow during daylight.

3 Likes

new to the pepper garden this year:

these are called “mad hatter” peppers. they are an odd looking 3-lobe job that will soon turn red. the largest ones are about 5-6cm wide. the stake says scoville around 50,000, so puts it somewhere near a serrano, i guess? can’t wait to find out!

13 Likes

Getting a little tired of these temperature swings.

Its raining Dip-n-dots!

8 Likes

maya erskine wtf GIF by HULU

4 Likes

The bonkers thing is every time I step outside the dip-n-dots fall. If I go inside, they stop! It’s like the weather fairies are playing a trick on me!

4 Likes

Did you piss off the dip-n-dots god somehow? :thinking:

6 Likes

Yes! Near serrano and great flavor. Bit floral and citrus with only a little heat. Kind of sweet. Great sauteed with onions and spicier peppers for fajitas.
I couldn’t find any at the garden place this year :sob: and didn’t think to buy seeds. They are yummy.

5 Likes