Gardening, Part 2

So excited about today’s delivery!

13 Likes

Interesting article.

The only one on this list I grow is amaranth and sweet potato, which is incredibly productive. The others are not really appropriate for my climate. Anybody have any experience with any of these?

(I have to question the inclusion of tomato, peanut, okra, soy bean on this list, honestly.)

7 Likes

Couldn’t find the actual list.

4 Likes

Sorry, it’s a link in the article.

VACS Explorer (theplotline.org)

6 Likes

Thanks! I found it confusing, because there are so many things it shows at a time, and for only one continent (I think?) so there’s no way for someone from my area to have a clue what would work here.

5 Likes

I think I know what that ground cover is…if you’re interested, send a better pic when you have a chance and I’ll ID it for you.

3 Likes

That would be great. My, admittedly idle, attempts have not yielded anything.
It has a strong herbal fragrance when crushed underfoot but not any specific herb. Just a very green smell. The bees absolutely love the stuff.

8 Likes

We have quite the variety of ground covers. At least a dozen different plants in the backyard. I know the pink flowers are primrose and the large yellow Texas dandelion

10 Likes
8 Likes

That makes perfect sense, thank you!
Except the part about marshy environments. We are in what was Blackland Prairie before farming. Lots of thick, dark, alkaline clay.

Though the areas where Clinopodium browne are thriving are the wettest areas and it does best during a wet spring. It’s much thinner, though present, in areas with better drainage

7 Likes

@NukeML beat me to it!
That’s some lovely ground cover you have there.

4 Likes

Thanks! We really prefer this variety of plants. It is so pretty in spring and a different set will dominate during the hot dry summer and rainy fall. We decided when we moved in there would be no weeding chemicals and were delighted the first year when we saw how the bees love Browne’s savory. It’s one of the first flowers available in the spring and is absolutely covered with bees for a few weeks before other plants start flowering.
Plus, it’s so low maintenance :joy: just mow occasionally, around the patches of wildflowers.

9 Likes

This mysterious root discovered while transplanting raspberries is in fact my home ethernet cable. Buried only two inches below the soil surface.

16 Likes

Oof, sorry about your backhoe fade.

5 Likes

And that’s why communications lines are supposed to be buried 36" below grade, so random homeowners doing normal gardening don’t damage them. :rage:

13 Likes

For some reason the next door neighbors needed a new cable from the junction box to their house box. I don’t know why. They had a wire stretched across the road for a few months. It made no sense- no one does actual work on that yard. Lucky if it is mowed on the regular. The old cable should have been in there.

Someone came in and put in the cable from the buried junction on our property to their house. The junction is covered by a lid. Left the cable above ground for 2 weeks. Had to be very careful mowing. Then it was buried maybe 2 inches down, but only to the property line. So there was coil of cable, three strands, near the box on our property. Just sitting there. In a small hole but not covered. I put some dirt over it and warned my spouse.
But if we cut the stupid thing I will have no sympathy. I know our cable isn’t very far down. But it is within a PVC conduit.

11 Likes

Patch job has internet access restored.

Meanwhile, I’m digging a trench to bury a new line properly. 18" is needed in these here parts. I’ll bury the electrical line for my new greenhouse while I’m at it. It will have a row of Belgian pavers on top as an additional safety mechanism (the cable, not the greenhouse)

Obligatory garden shot.

Anybody want free strawberries and vinca vines?

12 Likes

Nice work on that patch!

Full up on strawberries, planted 2 flats yesterday. I’ll grab a picture after we get a little rain, that whole side of the house looks dusty from too much pollen right now.

8 Likes

That time of year again! (Not gardening, but i am trying to get some established in our woods😁).
Also a little late in the season, another week and they would have likely died back for the year past the point of being harvestable. (Ramps).

Blackberry gose for scale.

4 Likes

You didn’t have a banana handy? :thinking:

8 Likes