Gary Oldman is winding his career down

That’s a gorgeous line which reminds me so much of my school days.

1 Like
8 Likes

Uh, read the whole article and see if you still can’t find anything to dislike.

Amazing actor, but apparently not a great human being in many other respects.

5 Likes

I know Gary has a lot of work under his belt but I always think of The Professional when his name comes up.

3 Likes

Oldman’s amazing. The way he inhabits each character, it makes you wonder whether it’s hard for him to let them go when a project’s complete. Not many are so skilled at playing horrid villains, great good guys, and schlubs.

OT, but pertinent-ish to the discussion:

Mom was a hostess at both The London Chop House and The Caucus Club, Detroit’s world class restaurants, and met henny youngman. It was a literally repulsive #metoo experience. He grabbed her and tried like hell to kiss her with those “big icky fish lips” as she put it. She fought him off and squirmed away, making good her escape.

She also met Milton Berle, who was more than a perfect gentleman. He took a shine to her, and sent her tickets for his show. The seats were front and center! and he invited her backstage, where they had another wonderful chat.

3 Likes

Well, most everyone retires at some point.

Everyone?

everyone GIF

7 Likes

Touché

3 Likes

How the hell have I never heard of “Tip Toes” and wow.

1 Like

Have used that today. Got giggles.
My thanks to you.

2 Likes

season 2 thank you GIF by American Gods

3 Likes

For me, he’s always that character in Track 29. Whenever I think of Gary Oldman, I go right to that movie. Such a weird slice of an eighties movie with 1950s overtones…kind of like Blue Velvet’s also-weird cousin.

1 Like

Fifth Element is…not a great movie. Has one of the most annoying performances in a mainstream movie. However, the Rifftrax treatment makes it bearable, and even quite funny, especially because they call out that character and just how annoying it really is. No idea how that aspect of the movie was greenlit…

i think the biggest difference between oldman’s performance in the4 two films has as much to do with the difference between nicolas roeg and luc besson as anything else. while i cannot imagine luc besson directing track 29 i could imagine roeg directing teh fifthe element and it makes for an entertaining intellectual exercise. regardless, oldman performed the character functions required by the director in each film and despite what might be felt about the quality of either film i feel that oldman did a better than average job in each. ymmv.

8 Likes

I assume you are referring to…

!!!RUBY RODD!!!
:kiss::kiss::eggplant::eggplant::avocado::avocado::heart::heart:

and not Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, so off topic.

5 Likes

2gT

4 Likes

Not necessarily.

RichardsWorld

6 Likes

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I had to google the actor’s name - I meant Chris Tucker’s performance. It makes Fifth Element unwatchable for me (except with Rifftrax). But pretty much any time I’ve ever seen that guy’s name on a movie, I nope out on ever voluntarily watching that movie. When I googled him, I learned that at one point, he was the highest paid actor in Hollywood?! How…why…what? Gary Oldman is just fine in anything I’ve seen him in…

1 Like

It was because of those god awful Rush Hour movies. Fun fact: Ruby Rodd was written for Prince, but he quit over a fuss about the costume.

3 Likes

I’m a big Fifth Element fan already. But Prince would’ve made it so much better.

6 Likes

I always find it terribly revealing when something like this comes out. It suggests that people like that genuinely believe that everybody uses that language and thinks like that and the only thing holding them back is the fact that one doesn’t mention it in polite company. That’s why they’re so upset about “cancel culture”: they genuinely think that it’s hypocritical because those that do the cancelling say the same things, but only behind closed doors. Which means they must only be performing being upset.

8 Likes