Gary Oldman is winding his career down

Originally published at: Gary Oldman is winding his career down | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Oldman is a remarkable performer whose ability to disappear into a character has always impressed me. However, I wish I’d never read about his opinion of The 5th Element.

6 Likes

First they came for Gilbert Gottfried and I said nothing.
Then they came for Gary Oldman, and I again said nothing.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t aware of this. I didn’t think I could like him more than I already do.

1 Like

Now, I like Oldman’s performances as much as the next guy, but this is at least the 3rd douchenozzle Nealy is heaping praise on. Von Trier, Frank Miller, and now Oldman. Granted, he hasn’t sunk to the depths of Miller, but he’s on record w/ anti-semitic language defending Mel Gibson…

Is Nealy staking claim to the ‘edgelord’ title? What’s next? A spirited defense of ‘The Joe Rogan Experience?’

5 Likes

I’ve often heard many a woman exclaim, “ugh, why are all the good guys taken?” I can’t entirely relate to the sentiment as a straight man, but the last couple of years have afforded me some empathy towards their position by allowing me the opportunity to ask a similar question. Why are all the good British actors suddenly talking about retirement?

What an utterly weird way to start this story. Maybe just too early in the day, but I see no parallel relevance. This is not “a similar question” in any way I can discern. Odd.

14 Likes

It took me a long time to realize that Oldman was one of those actors I’d seen a thousand times and never noticed it was the same guy. He’s really great at becoming the character. Another similar actor is the creature-centric Doug Jones - once you notice his particular gesture patterns, you can pick him out more.

3 Likes

Slow Horses is pretty good.
Explaining Gary Oldman GIF by Apple TV+

10 Likes

Slow Horses is great, can’t wait for season 2

3 Likes
5 Likes

Gary Oldman to retire? Well, I’m not surprised, after all, he’s not Gary Youngman any more is he?

(I can’t believe no one else has already made this joke)

20 Likes

Gary Oldman is winding his career down

Me too Gary, done done and then done some more.

P.S. Gary is now living in Palm Springs area, howdy neighbor.

4 Likes

True story - Gary Numan is three weeks older than Gary Oldman.

30 Likes

Here I was going to make a Henny Youngman reference; turns out his son is Gary Youngman :thinking:

6 Likes

9 Likes

Oldman is clearly a talented actor.

Just as clearly, he says loathsome things when he feels he’s in a safe (i.e., filled with like-minded people) environment: From Oscars 2018: Gary Oldman’s antisemitic language resurfaces after Oscars win | The Independent | The Independent

Defending antisemitic comments infamously made by actor and director Mel Gibson, he used racist and sexist language.

“I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things,” he said, referring to Gibson’s antisemitic rant, which saw him claim that Jews were responsible “for all the wars in the world“, during a 2006 arrest.

Recorded tapes allegedly captured Gibson threatening Ms Grigorieva by telling her: “You look like a f****** pig in heat. If you get raped by a pack of n******, it will be your fault.”

In his Playboy interview, Oldman added: “We’re all fing hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word 'n**’ or ‘that f***ing Jew’? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.”

Fiercely criticised for the comments at the time, Oldman later apologised in an open letter to the Anti-Defamation League.

He said he was “deeply remorseful” the comments “were offensive to many Jewish people”.

He added: “I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype.”

We’ve all said these things? Speak for yourself, Gary. And that’s a terrible non-apology. “How insensitive they may be”? “…offensive to many Jewish people”? That should be offensive to EVERYONE. And no need to apologize to Black people at all, I guess.

13 Likes

I’m using that. ta.

1 Like

I’ve loved Oldman since Sid and Nancy and Track 29 and was until just now blissfully unaware of both those comments and Tiptoes.

WTAF

Anyway, Stansfield is the greatest movie villain of all time

1 Like

Dang, I came to make this joke…