"Gaslighting" isn't Merriam-Webster's 2022 word of the year, darling, you're just confused

Originally published at: "Gaslighting" isn't Merriam-Webster's 2022 word of the year, darling, you're just confused | Boing Boing

10 Likes

gaslight GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper

11 Likes

Pleased that the description of the play/movie is accurate here. I have encountered many sources online where they say he dims the house lights specifically to make her think she is going crazy. Hence, gaslighting about Gaslight. (Although unintentionally I should think.)

25 Likes

“Gaslighting”? Isn’t that when frat boys set their farts on fire?

4 Likes

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

18 Likes

To adhere to its original sense there ought to be some aspect of attempting to drive someone insane to gain an advantage. At least thereby to be distinguished from an ordinary flimflam or confidence trickster. That typed, the graveyard of useful words is filled with time. e.g. to “decimate” used to be a relatively, one-tenth, hence the “deci-”, level of destruction, now it’s utter-and-complete. how often do we see “unique” qualified: “the most unique”, “very unique”, “uniquer”. then there is “literally”, “comprised”, “nominal” … ah well, it’s mostly good that language is allowed to evolve.

16 Likes

Anyone who misuses the term ‘begs the question’ I will cut out of my life forever.

9 Likes

hope you’re not an Andrew Bird fan…

3 Likes

Conservatives and right-wingers have undoubtedly driven the country into a sort of national derangement with their ever-escalating lying and BSing over the past 40 years.

6 Likes

Begging the question

16 Likes

Please, stop lamp shading that gaslight!

8 Likes

You’re all going crazy. Clearly, what they’re talking about is actually this.

8 Likes

Or even if the attempt at an advantage is the only motivation, the lies ought to have the effect of being confusing or maddening to be an example of gaslighting. The lies should be crazy-making lies.

4 Likes

Your comment begs the question of why you feel that way. :wink:

9 Likes

Got to be said - Angela Lansbury both looks and performs spectacularly in the movie.

4 Likes

There is one point about the movie that always comes to mind when reading these descriptions, though:

Part of the deception was making Paula believe she was his wife. Anton was a bigamist, too!

7 Likes

Bonus points for anything from EGS, of course.

2 Likes

Brilliant headline on this article! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

2 Likes

10 Likes

And Bergman won an Oscar for Best Actress in the film.

4 Likes