Gay Talese learns the subject of his new book is a liar, disavows the book

[Read the post]

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/01/484321658/gay-talese-disavows-his-disavowal-of-his-new-book

Sigh. At this point, I just don’t care.

13 Likes

The credibility of the source is expected to have zero effect on the movie, as movies are always rewritten to make the story read better.

11 Likes

The story attracted widespread media attention and led producer-director Steven Spielberg to buy the movie rights to the book. Spielberg has lined up Sam Mendes, who won an Academy Award for directing “American Beauty,” to create a film of Talese’s and Foos’s story. The story attracted widespread media attention and led producer-director Steven Spielberg to buy the movie rights to the book. Spielberg has lined up Sam Mendes, who won an Academy Award for directing “American Beauty,” to create a film of Talese’s and Foos’s story.

What? WHY would Spielberg pay money to this creep for such a story? Real or not? Is this one of his fetishes or something?

6 Likes

Money? This was fairly profitable.

3 Likes

Talese thought his subject covertly watched the motel’s guests having sex, but it’s the fact that the subject lied about it that makes him “a dishonorable man.” Got it.

18 Likes

Is the movie going to be directed by Michael Bay?

5 Likes

Until I got to this part, I thought this was going to be a review of some experimental meta-fiction.

1 Like

I don’t know which liar to believe.

6 Likes

Yes, who’d want a glimpse into the private lives of voyeurs?

Seriously, though, that sounds more disturbingly fascinating, or fascinatingly disturbing, than the book’s current version.

5 Likes

And how much of that “disavowal” (in quotes because he hasn’t revealed any plan to not pocket the cash) was due to the lambasting Talese took for his creepy complicity with the voyeur?

The most unbelievable aspect of Foos’ story is that his wife was supposedly perfectly okay with his voyeurism. Then she died and Foos remarried, and the new wife was perfectly okay with it, too. That’s when I said “this is pure fantasy.”

3 Likes

What did his secretary say?

1 Like

We apologize again. Those responsible for disavowing the disavowal have been disavowed.

23 Likes

Just 'cause it’d never happen to you doesn’t mean it didn’t happen to him.

People are full of all kinds of oddness.

2 Likes

I am of the same opinion. What kind of seedy voyeur underworld would we be allowed to view?

qui custodit pervertit?

1 Like

Gerald Foos, you scamp!

1 Like

“I should not have believed a word he said,”

That’s where good stories come from

3 Likes

1 Like

I loved this movie and the soundtrack!