Geico must pay $5.2 million to a woman who caught HPV while having sex in an insured car

Well…loading and unloading a car is considered “use and operation”.

2 Likes

Despite the names, neither the drive-, crank-, nor cam- shafts are intended to be used for that purpose. It is, however, appropriate to giggle when you drive past the Jiffy Lube offer the total underbody treatment.

7 Likes

What about the glovebox. Again… sorry.

4 Likes

Aside from the ridiculousness of making Geico into the responsible party here, how did they arrive at $5.2 Million in damages for freaking HPV? Last I heard a majority of sexually active adults carry the virus.

5 Likes

My understanding is that is no longer true. That incidence decreases with lower age among sexually-active adults. HPV is also closely linked to several types of cancer, especially cervical cancer, so it’s a very serious thing.

9 Likes

so in return they get a frivolous court ruling? I obviously don’t understand the US (or common law) justice system alltogether.

This isn’t a frivolous court ruling. It’s a ruling that says if you send a case to your binding arbitration that you paid for and forced your customer to use, you must be bound by that ruling if it was delivered fairly.

GEICO made the choice that courts don’t apply to them. Customers signed agreements agreeing to that. When their kangaroo court rules against them, shockingly, then there’s no recourse for them to call for a do-over in federal court. Just like for us, if their kangaroo courts ruled FOR them, there’d be no recourse.

9 Likes

It’s not owned by a talking lizard from London?

3 Likes

6ja5h7

8 Likes

He’s not even a real gecko!

3 Likes

I shudder to think what other kind of creature could be inside that tiny lizard costume

3 Likes

A marmoset.

Amazon Monkey GIF by Nature on PBS

7 Likes

I’m going with Allstate, they have a jazz band and magic ice cream cones

4 Likes

This should make for some interesting insurance fraud cases.

3 Likes

That is largely because young adults have had the option of getting vaccinated against the virus for a number of years now.

If you choose not to get vaccinated against HPV and have unprotected sex with another sexually active person then you should basically assume you’re flipping a coin on whether you’ll contract the virus.

As you say, the virus is linked to cervical cancer so it is not nothing but it is also not usually a fundamentally life-altering diagnosis like herpes or HIV.

7 Likes

If you don’t want a judgment against you, answer the Complaint. Otherwise, its a default judgment. They know that.

3 Likes

It was declining before the vaccine became widely available.

~36,000 deaths a year in the US.

7 Likes

I’m looking forward to insurance terms that explicitly deny coverage for injuries sustained while boffing in cars, sure to become more common in a couple decades when self-driving vehicles are ready for prime time (or perhaps I should say after dark).

6 Likes

Seems like a job for Saul Goodman.

I mean, have you seen what a single share of Berkshire Hathaway stock goes for, or what their market cap is? This kind of judgment isn’t even a rounding error.

5 Likes

Yeah, it was so transparently ridiculous - it was a legitimate company, so that part wasn’t a scam, but he was clearly saying whatever he could think of to try to sell me something we both knew I couldn’t use. (Although this was back when undocumented immigrants were prevented from getting a license, much less insurance, so the odds of having an accident with an uninsured driver were pretty high.)

3 Likes