Geico will not have to pay $5 million to woman who contracted a sexually transmitted disease in a car

Originally published at: Geico will not have to pay $5 million to woman who contracted a sexually transmitted disease in a car | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Geico’s defense of “sex not constituting normal use of a car” seems to me to be beside the point. If you have sex on a Casper mattress and contract an STD, should Casper be held accountable?

14 Likes

Should we ask Mark where he sourced that image or no?

4 Likes

Geico didn’t manufacture the car. Does anyone have mattress insurance? I don’t think homeowners or renters insurance covers injury.

4 Likes

I for one was looking forward to the commercials of a tiny talking reptile reminding you to use a condom.

23 Likes

now let’s not be too hasty… maybe it was Geico’s car insurance policy with a STD rider (so to speak) (“‘std’ as in standard deviation?”)

3 Likes

Considering that the woman didn’t got to trail without (bad) help: Shakespeare’s* Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2

How did the lower court rule in favor of the plaintiff in the first place

8 Likes

Not as crazy as it sounds.

tl;dr is that the plaintiff filed a claim and Geico failed to respond. An arbitrator and a lower court found for the plaintiff by default. So this is the Missouri SC covering the ass of a big corporation that legitimately screwed up.

16 Likes

Depends on the car and the age of the people. A Karmann Ghia? Definitely not. A ‘57Chevy? Sure.

If the guy ghosted her, yes.

18 Likes

Plus, the arbitrator was forced onto this situation BY Geico themselves. They didn’t show up to the arbitration THEY bought and paid for , and lost.

That the Missouri SC bailed them out is sad, but expected. Wonder how much they paid.

10 Likes

Not an injury “arising from use and operation of the vehicle”.

1 Like

Personal injury liability insurance is often part of homeowners or renters insurance. It might vary by state but it’s been part of every policy I have had.

3 Likes

I don’t see how this makes any sense unless she was the only person in the car at the time. Geico does have a responsibility to make sure their customers’ cars aren’t haunted by STD-carrying sex ghosts.

Called it:

I would wager that wheeled conveyances have been fornicated in since their invention.

2 Likes

Did they only ever have sex in the car?

77bcbh

10 Likes

Always use a cardom in that situation I’d say

I also caught HPV from someone who lived in an apartment in Chicago and didn’t reveal her status until it was too late. Maybe renter’s insurance would have covered it. /s

4 Likes