General Gaming Chit-Chat and Tea-Time

I love my 13inch 2010 Macbook pro and it’s portability (minus the fact that it is on its last legs), and I could not see myself with anything larger than a 15inch… and even that’s pushing it. If anything I want something that’s basically a 13inch mac but with the ability to handle current gen games with relative ease at highish settings.

A Razer Blade?

see i get frustrated with the 14" screen on my work machine. I love the screen real estate, but then again one can always do an external bigger monitor.

Basically yes… but cheaper.

Damn straight! Hop to it!

6 Likes

Oh yeah - it has been a long time since I could play games not suitable for a younger audience.

2 Likes

So Fallout (4?) is pretty fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The one thing that worried me about it is that I saw some gameplay and people kept picking up “Reinforced oiled bandit sleeve” and “Refurbished slick bandit sleeve” and other items that had three or four adjectives on them. It looked like it might be a bit of a nightmare to figure out whether things you picked up were any good. I didn’t know how that would play out in practice, though.

2 Likes

There is so much stuff! And I’m such a hoarder and completist… I can’t leave stuff if I don’t need it. I’ll just take it all back to camp and cache it. So much roach meat… LOL

3 Likes

Heh the Borderlands games cured me of that. I will do a quick loot compare at the end or break in a mission and happily sell off everything I don’t have equipped. Heck now I will just look at stuff and go not better than what I got and not even pick it up a lot of the time.

2 Likes

I’m playing a lot of Skyrim lately. I wandered into a cave the other day (With my lvl 40 Mage, ‘Dave’) and promptly got my ass handed to me by bandits. BANDITS, I tell you! The shame lingers.

2 Likes

Skyrim isn’t even nearly as bad for this as Oblivion was. In Oblivion one of the easiest ways to play the game was to never rest so you never leveled up so that you wouldn’t level the monsters.

I saw RPS had a ‘Happy 10th Birthday Oblivion!’ post yesterday, and people were still complaining about the levelling.

I never played Oblivion. Put a lot of time into Skyrim on my 360 though, quit it in a fit of pique after one unfixable bug too many (one of the Stones of Barenziah was missing, so I was going to be stuck schlepping the other 23 around forever).

1 Like

I gave my Skyrim wife 10 (count’em, ten) Dwemer cogs, and when we got back to the College at Winterhold, she’d lost 6 of them. I had to go back down in that hole and grab 6 more.

2 Likes

The leveling system in Oblivion is so bad that it’s still worth complaining about 10 years later!

I’m not really a console person anymore, but I think there are very good reasons to play Bethesda games on PC instead of on consoles. You have the fan community making patches for the bugs that Bethesda never addresses, and you also have console commands to fix bugs on the fly is necessary. In my playthrough of Fallout NV I had to summon an NPC who somehow got underground. I’m pretty sure I fixed a thing or two in Skyrim with quests that didn’t advance while NPCs go stuck repeating dialogue or whatever.

2 Likes

This was the conclusion I came to after every issue I had was only fixable via console commands.

2 Likes

Just in case - if you found enjoyment in infinifactory, sim city and maybe starcraft, Factorio is worth downloading the demo of. Alarms for food and sleep are advisable.

1 Like

I’m also super addicted to The Long Dark, which is basically a hoarders wet dream. I have to find food, shelter, clothes, medicine, make weapons… or I’ll die of exhaustion, hypothermia, hunger, infection, bear attack… so many things to gather! So many things to make! New game release set for April and I cannot wait!

I’m finding Fallout very similar, only instead of bears and wolves its raiders and giant insects.

3 Likes

Well, I didn’t buy that yet.

But I noticed that Grim Fandango Remastered is 75% off right now. Seemed like a steal for four bucks.

3 Likes

Yeah, and those are the elements of Fallout (as well as Skyrim and Mad Max and a few too many other games) that I’ve grown deadly tired of. It’s just an element of RPGness that I’ve never seen handled in anything other than an uninteresting timekilling manner. It can be a big part of a game (as in Survival mode of Minecraft) or a relatively small, though essential, part (like in Lego Lord of the Rings), or it can be made almost completely optional, the way it is in the last couple of Fallouts. Wander around until you find one of those and three of those and a pair of these and you can toss 'em in the cauldron or on the crafting table or whatever and end up with this doodad that when you press X gives you the minor benefit of x HP or an improvement of y AC. To me that ain’t role-playing, that’s thumb-wiggling. Shopping and gardening and resource-management are way too close to what I do IRL, and are almost never handled in a fun-enough manner for me to appreciate their being included in games.

I was really, really, really looking forward to Fallout 4, but I’ve been very disappointed by it. The gameplay is non-intuitive (especially anything having to do with settlements), the factions are muddy and simultaneously one-dimensional and undermotivated, and precious few of the story moments have been compelling. It certainly looks and sounds swell, but the writing isn’t half as good as in Fallout 3 (and not a tenth as good as in New Vegas). And it turns out the writing is very, very important to me.

5 Likes