General Gaming Chit-Chat and Tea-Time

5 Likes

Wow, the comments on that articleā€¦werenā€™t as bad as I was expecting.

They were the reason I stopped reading Destructoid, maybe itā€™s safe to venture backā€¦

2 Likes

Is it possible that the show could make the general public realize how nasty they are? Like, shining a light on them as people will turn them into a laughingstock and thus diminish their sense of superiority and possibly even grow up a little?

1 Like

The thing that drives me crazy in that article, more than anything else, is the word ā€œconfrontā€.

confront the phony gamerā€¦face-to-face and show them what geek culture is really about.

This appears to mean, ā€œFollow a woman down the street and yell at her.ā€ What if instead of confront it was ā€œmeet the person they are so angry at face-to-face and find out more about them.ā€ Iā€™ve been vegan in my life, and I can only imagine how Iā€™d feel if someone approached me to ā€œconfrontā€ me for being vegan. It would rapidly turn into, ā€œYou seem really angry about this, I wonder if you could tell me what makes you so angry about what I choose to eat?ā€

Of course this show is obviously going to be targeting vulnerable people or people who will feel threatened in context.

I think the self-selected audience of the show will largely be on the side of thinking they are righteous. Most people wonā€™t even know it ever happened (unless it crosses some kind of line and becomes a national talking point, I guess).

4 Likes

Sigh. So much for my Dr. Pangloss outlook.

6 Likes

So since I found myself with some extra free time, I finally started playing Stardew Valley. And suddenly Iā€™ve put 34 hours into it (almost at the end of Year 1 in the game). FSM help me, but it is soooooo absorbing.

9 Likes

Cool! I just got gifted a copy of that (someoneā€™s leftovers from the Humble Bundle) and I wasnā€™t planning on doing much anyway. :smiley:

3 Likes

I just got that as part of that bundle, too.

And I already have a stack of games to playā€¦

4 Likes

Got a box of cat springs dark roast yaupon. Not sure if I actually like it or not. Itā€™s Different tasting. Not bad but not ā€˜this is amazing.ā€™ Maybe Iā€™m making it wrong? I mean unlike store bought tea I can drink it unsweet without gagging. Then again I am not used to making by the cup I tend to make by the gallon.

As for gaming? Been on a warframe binge. FINALLY got equinox.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe I missed this post but Iā€™ll have to check this out.

I still play Super Hexagon on at least a weekly basis as a time waster.

2 Likes

What do you do when you have to waste more than 15 seconds?

3 Likes

Obligatory ā€œthatā€™s what she said.ā€

In all seriousness yes itā€™s a ridiculously hard game but once you learn the patterns of each level if becomes much easier. Iā€™ve lasted 122.48 seconds on the easiest difficulty. Still trying to get past the penultimate (ā€œhexagoner hyper modeā€) difficulty ā€“ Iā€™m close, at 55.16 seconds but Iā€™ve been working on this level off and on for over a year now. I fear what the next difficulty brings.

I normally donā€™t like super punishing games but I find this one to be particularly brilliant.

2 Likes

81 on Hexagon, 69 on Hexagoner.

I donā€™t see reaching 60 on the higher levels as likely.

Only 20 on Hexagonest. Tripling that seemsā€¦unlikely.

31 on Hardester is my next best.

2 Likes

Hexagonest has some brutal patterns. 38.18 is my best for that one.

Funnily enough in some ways I actually find the hyper modes for these levels to be a little bit easier in some demented way. Things move faster, yes, so itā€™s easier to get really focused. When playing the Hexagon level I actually find my mind wandering because it moves so slow now. Also I think thereā€™s a bit more separation with the walls on screen so I get a few extra milliseconds to react.

I am the same way with games Dance Dance Revolution and others in that genre. I find them much easier to play when the instructions are moving at 2x/3x speed.

2 Likes

I was that way about Race The Sun for awhileā€¦ real twitchy but you learn the patterns, not sure I will get to what I have seen in LPs of it though, it looks like the crazy tops out but not so much that as playing one session for that long.

2 Likes

Some people are complaining about ISIS being removed from Realpolitiks.

The usual suspects are blaming SJWs, when history suggests that it was to avoid negative coverage by The Daily Mail and Fox News.

1 Like

I spent my day off digging into Gigantic, and the mechanics are pushing all the right buttons for me. (I kind of regret ignoring the game for the past couple of years.) This is the first ā€œmobaā€ Iā€™ve been interested in getting into, and the first ā€œteam shooterā€ that feels like more than another round of shooting people in the face. (Splatoon came close for me, but still fell short.)

The systems all come together with a pacing and depth that feelsā€¦ new enough. (Honestly, a significant plus is the absence of chat and the announcer never being negative.)

Fair warning: Open beta, Free to Play, Windows 10 Store, 6 GB of RAM required

1 Like

Eschalon: Book I is free at GOG.com.

It will be free at Steam soon (as in the next 24 hours soon). They seem to have bundled it with the other games.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.