General Mills recalls some flours after 38 people got sick with E. coli

Want to send a message? Say it with flours.

3 Likes

Yay, dodged this bullet. Glad once again that I support the employee-owned company with the contradictory name.

12 Likes

My brand of flour, as well. Glad to hear they’re a good company.

6 Likes

Pft, who doesn’t have bloody diarrhea, amirite?

Crickets

…right?

Cold, steely eyed stares from the crowd

Trythevealandtipyourserver!!! (Runs away)

4 Likes

It’s the only flour I’ve bought for years. Parker Mills is the only other brand you can get (sometimes) [edt- at a regular store] that isn’t enriched.

4 Likes

You are okay if your sauce is heated to 165°F for at least 15 seconds, which is well below water’s steam point of 212°F at standard atmospheric pressure. Bring your sauce to the point of boiling (steamy) and thicken it and heat to observe steam.

1 Like

From Pillsbury customer service:
Q: Are the eggs used in your refrigerated cookie dough pasteurized?
A: Yes, the eggs in our refrigerated cookie dough are dried and pasteurized. Can I eat the raw dough? Our cookies are designed to be baked first, then eaten. We do not recommend eating any raw cookie dough.

No mention of the flour being pasteurized, if that’s even possible.

1 Like

It is and isn’t. Gelatinization of the starches will start at 140F, so anything you make/bake with it will have a different texture. Now irradiation could take care of this problem in a jiffy, but people generally are afraid of the process.

2 Likes

The ironic thing about that is that it’s been used safely in Europe for decades, and the Europeans are generally more cautious about those sorts of things than the US is. Also, some foods are not allowed into the US unless they have been irradiated (for ex., Indian mangoes).

I wonder how much raw cookie dough one would have to eat to get sick, at least from the e. coli. Even with worries about salmonella, etc., I’ve probably tasted every dough and/or batter I’ve ever made in my life.

5 Likes

Don’t know about you, buy I’d pay extra for cookies that gave off Cherenkov Radiation. (They’re so blue!!)

1 Like

Well, insect filth and rodent filth is allowed to be in just about everything…
FDA Defect Levels Handbook:

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta. SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic
4 Likes

The vast majority of e. coli outbreaks in vegetables have been caused by contamination in the field, not during processing. (See my post above and the linked article that speaks specifically to wheat and corn.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.