General Moderation Topic

Well, dang.

4 Likes

9 Likes

Funny how some of these brand-new users know how to ask to be anonymised, which is a fairly obscure feature.

8 Likes

Users tend to ask to be deleted in fact, but that’s not an option, so “anonymise” is our counteroffer.

14 Likes

Ah, good to know. Thanks for making that clear.

10 Likes

@orenwolf, not sure if this is the proper way to enquire, but what did I do to wind up in moderation?

4 Likes

If you mean that your message was held for approval, the system has many reasons for doing so, mostly to help avoid spam or similar issues.

Few legitimate posts are held for approval, but a sea of spammers and trolls are caught by them every day.

The mod team tends to be pretty responsive in approving posts that shouldn’t be held, and as I said, the number of posts held that way is small.

6 Likes

i got a comment held for moderation for the first time a day or so ago. at the same time, the site appeared to be moving super slow. timed out during a refresh, and some javascript? notification said the bbs wasn’t responding. almost felt like a denial of service was happening.

maybe just a coincidence?

7 Likes

Glarung has been asked not to return after continuing his multi-year tirade against a specific Author, despite repeated warnings to cease doing so (from multiple eras of moderators!)

9 Likes

I never ever got that. Yes I roll my eyes at some of the stretching some of the posts here do but it is what it is and I still enjoy reading it even though I don’t take it seriously.
If you don’t like the author just don’t read it. It isn’t that hard.

13 Likes

I delete new users. It is totally an option if you don’t mind losing their entire book of work.

I don’t mind.

7 Likes

Or say your peace about that particular post and then move on. I suspect when a user keeps bringing up the author’s history every single time…it can get annoying.

4 Likes

Posters banned for this behaviour rarely if ever limit their comments to the subject of a post. In almost every case, they attempt to use posts to attack the poster. And while I understand that the situation is a little different when you’re discussing an Author’s work here, the same rules of respect apply.

IMO, The users who are banned for this behaviour seem to be interested in 1) a free platform, and 2) to bully.

7 Likes

User stephen_schenck given a month for “Failure to be cool” in a thread on pet insurance.

11 Likes

9 Likes

The weird ass hills that some people chose to die on…

14 Likes

I die on one hill and one hill alone…

well…maybe the Farscape hill too…because reasons…

1323509_original

10 Likes

As @Papasan might say, “I’m being moderated right now!” I went to make a post in A round up of Trumpian events and received a message that it was (and I guess still is) being held for moderation. Which is fine, but I don’t remember seeing it before.

Also new, and presumably unrelated: I just achieved “Regular” status, which I didn’t know was still a thing, but I thought I reached it 2 or 3 years ago (maybe I’ve been slacking); a notice when it’s another user’s first post; another notice when it’s a user’s first post in a while.

11 Likes

Congrats on making Regular status (AKA Trust Level 3). It can come and go based on your engagement.

The new notices in the Discourse software are discussed here:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/special-callout-for-first-time-posters/106481/34

For reference, the mods explained it elsewhere in this topic.

You probably had a keyword or combination that triggered it. It’s happened to me, too.

14 Likes

This.

The incidence of legitimate posts being held is small (perhaps 1-2 every day or so). They’ll get approved quickly, and catches far more inappropriate posts in return for the minor inconvenience of winning the approval lottery as a false positive that day. :slight_smile:

12 Likes