General Moderation Topic

Quori has been given a timeout for repeated rude responses to those who disagree with their posts, or, who attempt to correct them.

I’ve said this before, but: text is not a perfect replacement for an in-person conversation. Expect to be misunderstood and misinterpreted by even those with the best of intentions.

Further, the point of a discussion here is back-and-forth. People will disagree with your position, sometimes vociferously. One should not post here if one expects to make statements that will only be met with acceptance or agreement.

14 Likes

as an aside, i wish we had more of a general bbs culture (like the ars technica forums), i feel like mostly the bbs is comments on articles in terms of traffic.

but i also don’t have good suggestions on how to encourage that kind of wider participation while keeping BB special, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

(sorry if this is off topic but I wanted others to see this and be able to reply, hence not DMing)

3 Likes

The BBS is for comments about posts published on boingboing.net

That is why it is here.

4 Likes

Oh, ok, so not having a wider community ala Ars is considered a feature? Sorry then.

I was a little confused since there are things like general that seem intended to be like traditional mesage boards. (Kind of like how Gamefaqs had non video game boards).

Anyways, thanks for reading. One thing I really value here is it’s not hierarchal, and I feel like my input is welcome if I’m not a sealion or an asshole about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

User NativeSpeaker has been asked not to return after repeatedly attempting to derail conversations with rules lawyering and complaints about the community at large, despite multiple requests not to do so.

13 Likes

Hey @orenwolf, why did you close the thread about the disastrous gender reveal?

1 Like

It was getting pretty disastrous.

14 Likes

This. Some topics just do not deserve 20 posts about virtue signalling and Schadenfreude-shaming.

17 Likes

Thanks! I was just curious.

2 Likes

User @clifyt has been asked not to return.

We are a heavily moderated forum, full of amazing individuals who take time out of their day to post and respond here, even to those they disagree with, even to say the same thing for the umpteenth time because a new member hasn’t read the last discussion, because such is the way of the internet, and because they believe in what they say.

This is why we ask that users not post generic talking points or waste the time of users by taking up positions you are not really invested in. Because folks here are invested in their opinions and positions, and to come into a forum, play “devil’s advocate” (or what is colloquially known as sea lioning) is asking users who are invested in their positions to debate you, “just because”.

There are others here who do believe strongly in both sides of virtually every position, and whom are more than capable of making an argument. “Acting in good faith” means not taking on the pretense of caring about a topic you don’t really care about. There are other forums out there if this is your intention. Do not do so here.

There is an especially troubling version of sea-lioning - one where taking the side of an unpopular opinion and then acting as if you are being personally attacked when people debate vociferously against that position, with bonus points if you can drag in a forum regular or moderator into the argument as “proof” that one is being attacked.

These are all examples of bad-faith posting, and trolling. A user doing this is attempting to be an energy leech - draw effort to rebut and prove that others are acting in good faith, when the original user had no intention to do the same, from the beginning. These users “have no skin in the game”, while many of our community members do, often from personal experience.

Case in point - explaining that this user was, in fact, sea-lioning by admitting they were “just curious” about a topic or that they would not take a position themselves resulted in a PM to me about how my statements suggested: “So I’m a troll now. And you are threatening me with your moderator powers BECAUSE YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN SOMETHING.” and how my taking the time to point out how a post violates our standards, instead of simply hiding or deleting, is instead suggested that “If this isn’t an abuse of power, I don’t know what is.”

I stand by my attempts at open and transparent moderation here. This user chose to take a contentious topic and become an energy leech, then use their perceived persecution as a derailing topic for the entire conversation.

Those tactics will not work here. We do not need users who create work for other members by taking positions they themselves do not believe in. To do so is trolling.

Do not post on the BBS if you are not prepared to have your opinions challenged, and do not post in bad-faith with the intention to “force debate”. If you believe in something, by all means, have at it. Do not complain when your opinions are, within our guidelines, challenged. Discussion is the very reason we are all here, and we expect sincere discussions about topics one actually cares about discussing in good-faith.

48 Likes

Once again, your hard work and transparency on these matters is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all you do here to make this a safe, generally fun forum to be on. It means a great deal to the happy mutants here.

41 Likes

User Uniq has also been given a brief timeout for literally doing the same thing in the same topic as above, admitting that they ”have no dog in the fight,” do not ”want to argue,” and engaging in irrelevant whataboutism on top of that.

Look, if you want to discuss contentious topics, have at it. We do it here all the time. But don’t do it in bad faith just to ask questions, or worse, they to broaden the scope of a narrow issue to other (and in this case, irrelevant, as absurdium degrees).

If you really want to do that, open a new topic, but don’t be surprised if others do not want to participate. We have had enough users over the years try to make every topic about every possible permutation of a subject as to have literally exhausted our community on endless whataboutism, and required removal.

17 Likes

IIRC, BBS has been there, done that. Led to a lot of hassle for management, more hassle than benefit.

2 Likes

I saw this before I saw the thread. Yikes. Good job.

10 Likes

User mrfixit has been asked not to return after sending inflammatory private responses regarding the moderation of his post that were insulting the community.

…thereby making it clear that the insults within said post were not only intentional, but also likely to continue, and reaffirming our policy that the rude will be eaten first.

28 Likes

Thank you for taking the mantle.

9 Likes

Cue the requisite ‘Queen’ guitar riff…

14 Likes

And for having such a strong stomach!

13 Likes

You must be quick because I rarely recognize the usernames. (Then again I mostly recognize ppl by av so maybe I’m just an idiot :cowboy_hat_face:)

1 Like

Hoping to find a good topic to put this under as well.

5 Likes