General Moderation Topic

User Matthew_Neist also given a timeout for similar behaviour, not to mention having tanked their flag-weighting with retaliatory flags for the next 100 days or so.

19 Likes

Oh, THATā€™s who it was!

8 Likes

Meow. Meow.

4 Likes

huh? like if someone flags you and you flag them back itā€¦ balances out? not sure i follow?

or do we purposefully keep the flag algo secret, which i could see being usefulā€¦

1 Like

{[Meow],[Meow]0}

7 Likes
9 Likes

Weā€™re not supposed to flag just because weā€™re in disagreement, weā€™re supposed to flag things that violate the TOS. If you flag something that you donā€™t like which does not violent the TOS, then all youā€™re doing is retaliatory flagging and doing so can count against you when you flag something. You can flag something that you think violates the TOS, and leave it up to the mods as to whether it is or not, who might not agree with you (this is where the ā€œsomething elseā€ can come in handy, as you can tell the mods why you think it violates the TOS).

Itā€™s about acting in a good faith to create a safe and enjoyable space, not scoring points or punishing people you might not get along with. At the end of the day, if you donā€™t enjoy talking with someone, your best bet is to avoid them, not flag them just for them annoying you.

33 Likes

A particularly crafty sort of moderator could use a machine learning algorithm to assign more weight to flaggers that are usually sustained, and less weight to flaggers that are usually overruled. A more advanced algorithm could rewrite posts so as to comply with the taste of the moderators. Eventually, the forum could run itself.

2 Likes

Orenwolf does a great job, with limited resources but we need MORE living breathing mods, not less.

25 Likes

The forum already does that. Hence:

14 Likes

Can we clone @orenwolf do you think? Do we have the technology? :thinking: Or would it just end up like this?

12 Likes

I assume that a ā€œbanner systemā€ will eventually emerge.

If people misbehave badly enough, the mods ban them. Thatā€™s the ā€œbanner system.ā€

17 Likes

And then one could assign an AI to read the site. Then disconnect it from the internet-

14 Likes

Thanks. To be clear, I donā€™t flag things because I disagree. I was just trying to threat model what the person was doing.

If itā€™s not super obvious someone is being a sealion etc I do use the something else box to give context

1 Like

Last one out turn off the Likesā€¦

21 Likes

banner

25 Likes

Yes, it helps to make your case.

9 Likes

It does. We are human, we miss things. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I want to apologize. The two posters on that thread were talking about retaliation-flagging me before their posts were hidden then yanked, so obviously I enraged them with all my ā€œstay on topicā€ talk. In retrospect I should have just ignored them.

6 Likes