General Moderation Topic

Regarding this comment:

I made a true statement in response to @Howiemoticon who responded with an apology and agreed I was right. My son and I have long been on the receiving end of violence from my son’s mother. I left when she threatened me with a hammer. I don’t think my comment was entirely off topic, given the subject matter.

The topic was Dr. Phil… not that what happened to you and your son doesn’t suck and it most certainly constitutes abuse, but the topic of the thread was Dr. Phil, not abuse in general.

6 Likes

The Pedant Pendant list, on the other hand… I’ve been trying to get on that for years, but it’s tough balancing pedantry with “not being an asshole”.

29 Likes

This is a very important point. online, conversations can quickly devolve from the specific to the general, and unlike, say, a cocktail party where several conversations on many subtopics can happen at once, on a forum topic, this really doesn’t work.

@Michael_R_Smith you are welcome and encouraged to start your own topic! Just click on time indicator (far right of the header) of the post you want to respond to and select + New Topic.

12 Likes

Try being pedantic about something sourdough-related.

21 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

I’m not rising to that.

23 Likes

I’ve been doing that, with no luck so far.

One could almost say that I’m disappoint…oh no, not THAT list!

14 Likes

Not rising? Can you prove it? Possibly twice?

14 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: In defence of Dr Phil

User Avery_Thorn given a timeout for attacking other users.

15 Likes

User dorgar is next on the timeout list above.

3 Likes

User ludd given a timeout for deciding every female politician is a “Hillary” then deciding the best way to get their point across is to complain folks flagged that post as misogynistic.

Protip: When the users of the BBS who identify as female tell you you’re being misogynistic, they might have some skin in the game there, and are probably worth listening to.

32 Likes

This moderately nonfemale identifier was about to mansplain some shit at him, too.

6 Likes

Seriously, I saw it show up in my email, and I’m like, why did you respond this way to me? I went to flag it ,and saw it had already been actioned on.

User timd has been given a timeout for suggesting that cyclists as a group would rather risk death than see meaningful change to intersections where they die, just to “be the victim”.

That one statement may well be the single greatest example of victim blaming I’ve ever seen, and is a model of the kind of rhetoric we do not need here on the BBS.

29 Likes

What happened?

I got a “nice reply” but not sure what it was for?

4 Likes

You replied to someone who subsequently got banned or a timeout. Your reply was popular, but it was collateral damage. The “nice reply” will disappear shortly.

21 Likes

Maybe the reply was part of a thread that was ganked because it was started by a troll?

4 Likes

“Ganked” haven’t heard that in forever.

3 Likes