Watch 'Dr. Phil,' no medical license, rant COVID-19 falsehoods on Fox News

via Imgflip Meme Generator

OK. To be fare Phil’s doctor credentials is mentioned but the most interesting thing for me is the content of the ‘mea culpa’ video. Yes the cut out of context 1st video is an easy target and we all get how this media trope plays out.

But dare I say it his apology seams to me quite reasonable and being a populist communicator I would even suggest important and worth supporting. Or at least having a productive discussion around.

He admits his mistakes clumsily but the important take away for me is his emphasis in the follow up video on mental health issues and isolation.

He has access to a large public following and if he can present interesting mental health issue to that audience then why shoot the messenger.

For example a couple of topics close to my heart would be the inevitable crisis of domestic violence and suicide exacerbated by isolation. Women and children being trapped with their abusers.

Popular voices can always generate a lot of the “Bono” noise but I reckon as flawed as he and his platform is personally I would let this one through.

5 Likes