General Moderation Topic

User nerdic has been asked not to return after invoice the trifecta of:

• being disappointed in Boing Boing’s coverage of BLM protests and the racist bigots who have scurried into the light because of that movement
  • being disappointed in he BBS membership for defending said movement
  • gate-keeping and tone-policing responses and moderation.

… To the point of getting a topic locked for their many, many flagged posts.

If the community is moderating your responses, this is a signal to take a step back, reflect on our guidelines and the conversation, and stop the behaviour that is being flagged until the mod team has a chance to review.

But perhaps most importantly, Boing Boing posts are probably not about you superficially. Don’t make the discussion on the BBS focused on you rather than the subject at hand, please.

Thank you, and thanks to those who chose to flag rather than continue to engage when it became clear this user was determined to derail.

27 Likes

tenor (3)

21 Likes

Ken, as covid gets worse, protests get more intense and the election nears, I fear your job is going to get harder and more thankless. I want to express my appreciation for you trying to maintain a semi-civil atmosphere while allowing mutants to be mutants. It can’t be easy. We are much like herding cats! Thank you.

42 Likes

Readers’ impression:

30 Likes

Yup, that was how i saw it, too.

19 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

27 Likes

No, that kind of cat herding is ADORABLE.

26 Likes

User Itsumishi anonymized at user request.

3 Likes

user bb4me, who posted offtopic, derailing political replies in topics prior to the 2018 election (and was warned for the behaviour) felt this was a good time to keep doing the same thing, but additionally reposting the same generic content in multiple posts as well.

They are welcome back on Nov. 4th.

22 Likes

Ah, the traditional first Wednesday after the first Monday in November.

Here’s hoping we’re all in a better mood that day.

20 Likes

Heh, most of our major marketing campaigns are delayed until that day.

12 Likes

Here’s hoping we’re all in a better mood that day.

14 Likes

Here’s hoping the entire world breathes a sigh of relief that day.

20 Likes

User yetanother has been asked not to return after making significant efforts to gate-keep permitted responses and opinions to current events, being warned not to do so, then proceeding to - repeatedly - denigrate the members of the BBS, the moderation team, and those that took the time to respond to their replies.

This is another reminder that it’s one thing to take issue with opinions or ideas expressed on the BBS, but another entirely to suggest bad-faith, malice, or otherwise attack the character of your fellow mutants. You add nothing to the conversation when you decide to tell everyone you are the only moral person in the room.

19 Likes

i don’t know, interrupting my principal during an all-hands meeting with an assistant superintendent present by shouting abuse at him seems like a strategy designed to have me going places.

17 Likes

Sorry couldn’t help myself.

12 Likes

User timrowledge given a timeout for lobbing verbal attacks against other users.

Haven’t had to do one of these for awhile, but:

16 Likes

User ActuallyARegular Anonymized at user request.

10 Likes

User Snork has been asked not to return after directly attacking other users. Something they were warned about repeatedly.

16 Likes

User Kenneth_Wilkinson has been asked not to return.

The users entire post history is almost entirely one-sentence opinions, followed by never posting in a topic again. These are almost always generic talking points and contribute little to the discussion while often sparking derailing conversations about the statement, when it’s clear the poster has no intention of following up.

To be clear, there’s nothing wrong with one sentence comments or giving your opinion and leaving a discussion. But when it is literally the only thing you do since joining the BBS, and when so many of those statements lead to derailment, it becomes obvious that those statements aren’t intended to add to the BBS as a whole, and instead only detract from discussion here.

21 Likes