General Moderation Topic

Wait, so what were the consequences of these actions? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

12 Likes

Termination with extreme prejudice.

9 Likes

Good.

6 Likes

User garyprob banned for failing to be cool.

2 Likes

Who Is This Owl GIF

10 Likes
5 Likes

11 Likes

User NormaCenva has been banned from the BBS for directly attacking other users via PM.

Our community guidelines are not restricted to public posts, and please do flag PMs that violate our guidelines the same as you would a public post.

22 Likes

Thank You So Much GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

18 Likes

Another set of disappointed users who apparently signed up to try and ensure Boing Boing only covers topics of their choosing in the way they wish has been removed.

Also from my earlier comments on the subject:

14 Likes

User dabird suspended for 24 hours for almost helping identify a typo.

4 Likes

User getoffmylawn anonymized at user request.

4 Likes

User farnaby has been banned from the BBS. First for trying to gatekeep a topic and declare themselves judge and jury over what was apprioriate within it (which, seriously, with the diversity of minds our Happy Mutants have, isn’t ever going to end well). Unfortunate, but not itself bannable.

…However! When you then take that gatekeeping and ratchet it up to personal attacks and threats of violence, well…

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

17 Likes

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Doctor Who

10 Likes

User bozobub has been banned, after it became clear that they were following users around to harass them, something they had been previously suspended for in the past. In fact, looking at their past behaviour I would have been far less tolerant today, but I did not handle that ban. I do not suffer predators on the BBS, and nor should anyone else have to.

Being an asshat and a predator is bad enough, but when you are given a second chance and still do it while simultaneously trying to justify your behaviour as appropriate because you are being “attacked” (by mutants disagreeing with you), and calling out that you have no intention of flagging posts or otherwise participating in community moderation, your removal is far overdue, and I apologize on behalf of the modteam for not having put 2+2 together regarding this user in the past.

36 Likes

Thank you.

20 Likes

User ReallySorryAboutThat, a self-professed boomerang user who left and returned, has been banned. The user had repeatedly fought with Regular mutants on the site, going so far as to add accusations of gatekeeping and brigading in their user profile. They had recently taken to disappearing for months at a time only to return and pick a fight with specific users when they did so.

We do “gatekeep”, in that we have a heavily moderated forum and expect users to treat each other with respect. We also have a active, engaged userbase here (thank you!), and that means that you can expect your opinions and comments here to be challenged, debated, and questioned. Others doing so is not an attack - it is the sign of a robust, skeptical, diverse community. Making those rebuttals of your position personal, especially when for some reason those personal rebuttal attacks seem to strangely only target our members who have identified as Women, brings no value to the BBS and worse, paints a picture of ongoing harassment we can’t permit to continue.

This is also my ongoing reminder that if you feel a poster has gone too far, flag their post. We will review it and take action (just look to the 1276 posts above for proof of that fact). Choosing instead to go after the user in a public topic serves to do nothing but inflame the situation and almost certainly derail the actual conversation taking place in the topic. Please have more respect for your fellow mutants than that.

Thank you.

35 Likes

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

17 Likes

We are the Gatekeepers. We do not forget. Expect us. :wink:

18 Likes

GIF by Ghostbusters

30 Likes