General Moderation Topic

@andybaldman is disappointed in Boing Boing. I have no issue with that. They also wanted to fight with everyone they could about it, derailing every topic they posted in. I do have a problem with that, so a shared my “disappointment” with them and sent them away for an extended period.

Given how disappointing we are, I’m sure they won’t miss us one bit!

7 Likes

Maybe split off the vegan discussion in the ramadan thread? I’d begin with the first (off topic) mention of “certain vegans.” It’s kind of taking over the fasting discussion by now. . .

7 Likes

Yep! Done!

5 Likes

@g_wat is on a short vacation. Complaining about community flags then taking his greviences to other topics is a sure fire way to create grumpy mods.

6 Likes

Jeez it wasn’t like we were shouting him down… and he hadn’t been flagged after much rebuttal in good faith last I looked.

2 Likes

Agreed. The flagging was relatively mild and the discussion reasonable afterwards, not sure why they felt they needed to fall on their sword over that specific post *shrugs*. Hopefully a few weeks off will offer perspective.

2 Likes

London Fire thread. Deleted a post full of nothing but anger, left a response up as the response didn’t include anger or quote the angry post that was deleted.

2 Likes

I apologize. I let my anger and feelings of persecution get the better of me. It won’t happen again, at least not in that thread.

10 Likes

@EnmerkarOfBabel is no more, after seeming to exist only to troll Boing Boing.

4 Likes

Just want to note for the record that while I somewhat expected my deletion, what I responded to was more offensive while it might not violate community guidelines. Even still, I was nicer than I should’ve been.

Poverty shaming/single parent shaming/low tech-awareness shaming is wack AF, and should always be called out.

Rant. Over.

8 Likes

What happened to the user created “Community” thread in general? I just searched for it and came up with nothing so I checked the topics started by that user and it did not appear there. Did I miss a post about this up-thread?

7 Likes

It was deleted after it was made clear the thread was disingenuous.

I don’t think it was though.

I would really want to hear your thoughts on community building. Genuinely. I’m not being sarcastic.

7 Likes

This is a thread about moderation on our forum for comments on Boing Boing’s blog posts.

If I had wanted to join your conversation I would have joined that user generated thread. You refused to engage with the only user around here who claims to be a community expert, and insisted there was no conversation unless I participated. A thread about my thoughts on community building, that I was interested in participating in, would start with a post on Boing Boing about community building.

Stay on topic. This thread has had enough activity for one day already.

1 Like

OT: Why was it deleted as opposed to being locked? Locking would send a much clearer message versus making it disappear and then having to contend with Questions being asked.

8 Likes

On a related note, why was @chgoliz goodbye post deleted?

7 Likes

Aside from the one person legitimately offering something to discuss, the rest of the thread was just trolling.

@learnedcoward has been banned for trolling.

For clarity: the users additional trolling posts are not visible and were deleted.

1 Like

I suppose this is where I disagree with your moderation approach. I would prefer lock and optionally shame versus disappearing. It may not reduce complaints but at least it sends a clear message and reduces the kind of “where did my post go” confusion. But whatevs - it’s your world here and we’re just guests.

11 Likes

13 Likes