General Moderation Topic

They’re welcome back anytime! 10 years is just “until requested otherwise” in Discourse-speak when someone specifically requests a suspension.

6 Likes

It just sucks, is all. Yet another awesome chick chased away… :frowning:

21 Likes

Sagoli is sugoi, come back!

2 Likes

Virtually all of her most recent posts were in the feminism/anti-feminism threads. Not hard to understand why she decided to walk away. You’re not posting as much here anymore. I’m not. etc. etc. etc.

20 Likes

Etc. Etc.

11 Likes

And so it goes, and so it goes…

10 Likes

Cleaning up the off-topic complaining about having a post deleted in the Puddles thread. Initial post was deleted to stop the user from derailing the thread before it started, subsequent off-topic whinging about unfairness also deleted.

Thanks for the update. If expressing a differing opinion and preference in entertainment styles about precisely the topic of the OP constitutes “derailing” around here, I’ll do my best to keep that in mind. At least in threads for your posts.

19 Likes

:unamused:

3 Likes

@beschizza, is this repost intentional?

I feel confused given the surrounding content, and especially that other thread (the museum one) closing down due to many flags.
Not to say I feel rickrolled.

Dealt with. thanks.

1 Like

Looks like it was just featured at the top of the homepage. In posts from the olden days, before BBS, this bumps the “last modified” date of the post and thereby generates a new discourse thread if one doesn’t already exist.

3 Likes

@timothy_krause is on a short vacation while they decide if they’re actually a troll or just playing one on TV.

5 Likes

What did he do?

1 Like

Several posts admitting to trolling, then taking them all back as a “joke”.

10 Likes

RE:

I’m going to leave those posts as-is now, as @chgoliz’s on-topic points are absolutely valid, even if I wish the discussion with @gellfex could have instead been taken to PM (or, have left hidden replies hidden). Regardless, I did want to discuss something specific:

Name calling, including calling people “trollies”, is not appropriate. @chgoliz is not a trolley, full stop. I’m going to act on such posts. If you feel someone is a trolley, flag their posts or PM me and we’ll talk about it. Those choosing to repeatedly violate our community guidelines or disrupt conversations for lulz (“true” trollies) will be exorcised.

There’s been a noticeable increase in dissenting opinion of late, and I’ve been doing a lot of that aforementioned exorcising of late, but it’s important to give those with dissenting opinions the opportunity to speak their minds, within our guidelines, otherwise we risk turning the BBS into a big echo chamber that shouts down dissenting opinion.

TL’DR Calling people “trollies” is namecalling and will be treated as such. Please, flag/pm if you see trollies being trollies.

18 Likes

Hope this isn’t an easy to find elsewhere question:

Is there some specific limit to how many deleted (after flagging) posts a commenter can post before they’re banned for Consistent Trollishness? Is there even any way of keeping track of the number of a particular commenter’s deleted posts?

I ask because I see posts by some commenters deleted regularly, yet they remain as members, free to post trollishness another day, and another, and another…

12 Likes

There is almost always back-and-forth going on in PMs in those situations. I tend to believe more in giving folks a little rope and seeing if they try to weave it into the fabric of Mutantdom, or instead make a noose for themselves, instead of overt harsh moderation where warranted, because the latter can easily trend towards an echo chamber anytime anyone posts anything “controversial”, though over the last few weeks, I’ve been deleting users (and posts) daily thanks to general bigotry and repugnance.

I am erring on the side of hiding instead of deleting wherever possible specifically for the issues you mention - there’s no record (except for what mods can see) if posts are deleted. That also applies to offtopic conversations - I’m more likely to split them off then simply nuke them, then the larger community can decide on the merits of that conversation, or simply let it wither on the vine.

However, that doesn’t apply for posts spewing hate - we have zero interest those posts being associated with Boing Boing, even hidden, and I will continue to burn those with fire (along with the posters) as I find them. There’s no place for that here.

If you feel there’s someone whom I’ve failed to notice behaving as a persistent troll (note the definition I gave in my post above), feel free to PM me and I’ll I’m happy to discuss. I’m human, I make mistakes or miss patterns like everyone else. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thanks, @orenwolf. It’s been feeling a little Behind Through the Looking Glass around here recently.

I do want to make one small point: I specifically did not link or even quote from the hidden post, so that you were free to do whatever you wanted with either/both posts.

(edited because originally I spaced on the name of the book)

13 Likes

And I appreciate that. :slight_smile:

7 Likes