General Moderation Topic

User pedrillo has been banned for directly attacking other users.

As a reminder, private messages are still subject to our community guidelines.

18 Likes

Valantar has been given a timeout for the (unfortunately) increasingly common decision to make a topic or position of Boing Boing or the BBS as a whole all about them (as if there ever was such a thing in the first place) and then proceed to go to war with the same community they apparently consider important enough to spend that much time writing voluminous copy for in the first place. When this starts trending towards personal barbs, which it inevitably does, itā€™s time for a break.

There are near fifteen-hundred mutants here with a Vice-admiral badge - meaning they have been here for eight years and continue to post here (as that badge requires posts.) That number only increases as you move forward in time. For anyone to believe that many people are a monolith of thought, position, or belief is a guaranteed path of folly.

24 Likes

We exist in a state of superposition. Important enough to advocate for and unimportant enough to ignore.

Thanks, Erwin!

16 Likes

We should never have got in the box.

16 Likes

We canā€™t help ourselves.

32 Likes

Changing my bandā€™s name to ā€œGuaranteed Path of Folly.ā€

9 Likes

Maybe some of these people would re-group?

6 Likes

Hello.

I am sorry. I have give a flag to one post from a BBS user. I am Sorry, It was a mistake.

How can I fix It?

15 Likes

You canā€™t. It will go on your permanent record. :wink:

Just kidding. A mod will look at it and restore it if it isnā€™t objectionable. For future reference, I believe you have a short grace period (5 minutes or so) to retract a flag by clicking on it again.

18 Likes

I think the ā€œUndo Flagā€ feature has been removed

9 Likes

OH NO!

So do I! I was scrolling down the BBS as I usually do and then I hit the ominous flag icon. It was a mistake, I swear.

14 Likes

Is ok. No one will know it was you and the mods will restore the post. Even if anyone could figure it out, you have a lot of well earned good will here

Youre Crazy Come On GIF by Jackson-Triggs

18 Likes

Hey, weā€™ve all been there. Well, I have. My signature screwup is to accidentally give a like to an offensive post, then only realize it after the grace period has expired. Unlike an inadvertent flag, that really is forever.

We all do now. :wink:

19 Likes

That happens to me when Iā€™m clumsily scrolling through posts on a tablet.

10 Likes

I blame the cellphone.

10 Likes

User circledsqaure has been banned for directly attacking other users.

20 Likes

User papasan has been given a timeout for, again, insulting posters rather than flagging, then reposting the insult after the comment was moderated.

4 Likes

mindysan has been given a timeout for attacking another user after taking the issue to another unrelated topic to do so, both behaviours we have given permanent bans for in the past.

No matter how justified you feel, it is never appropriate to hurl insults or attack others on the BBS. We have moderators to deal with bad posts, and even community Leaders who have the ability to edit especially egregious posts, slow down or lock topics until moderators can take action. Throwing barbs at others only amplifies their original message and derails the conversation.

7 Likes

70ā€™s prog revivalists, then? :wink:

4 Likes

User JesseK has been banned for attacking other members directly.

Seriously. There is literally no situation where telling off members is appropriate. Flag, or use Ignore.

12 Likes